Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Buying a NEW 2004 'leftover'

09-11-05, 05:49 AM   #1  
Buying a NEW 2004 'leftover'

1. I bought a NEW 2004 Lincoln LS that was a leftover. Mileage under 300. Car was manufactured 12/03. I checked the vin with carfax and it came up clean, no previous owners, no buyback, lemon, lease or anything else. I was told this was a new car purchase and warranty starts from the day of delivery. I purchased the extended warranty for three additional years for a total of 7 years. Begin 8/05 should expire 8/2012. I got the paperwork back with 12/2010 expiration date. Did they lie or did they make a mistake?
2. I am concerned that there may be some problems with a car that has not been in use for a year and a half. Can you tell me what to look out for?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links

09-11-05, 07:24 AM   #2  
Warranty

4 year warranty on a new car starts when? Date of manufacture? Or date of delivery? Does anyone know?

09-11-05, 04:24 PM   #3  
It is supposed to start on the day of purchase
I have not heard of an auto manufacturer trying to get out of a warrantee by saying it was the build date (I have had other manufacturers try that on me with products I carried though)
But that was an actual Manufacturers Warrantee

Who did you purchased the extended warrantee from?
That sounds like a weasel move, but the actual extended warrantee may not be a Ford warrantee, it may be a Fred's Auto warrantee, or a Warrantee's R Us warrantee
It should read a date of 7 years from the Date Of Purchase
But you'll have to scan the fine print of the actual "Extended Warrantee"

I would have no qualms about a leftover, I'd just ask if they could change the oil
In fact, if any little bugs showed up in 300 miles, they would have been taken care of
They wouldn't want the demo to have bugs

09-12-05, 05:34 PM   #4  
The extended service plan is from Ford.... ESP, for 84 months. or 7 years.
It is also noted as a NEW plan so I am sure (ahem) that it was an oversight.
I hope they will correct the date, even though I signed the agreement.
Good advice about the oil change, I have an appointment to do that this week. I was concerned about buying a car that sat for a year, and I did have a problem with the battery going dead. In fact, it happened that the salesman had to jump start the car to show it to me. He said he would get service to put in a new battery. They didn't, and blamed the dead battery on a valet key that messed up the code and caused a 'lock out'. I did have a problem with the valet key not turning in the ignition, but I still am leary about the battery and/or alternator or anything electrical that may have suffered from sitting for a year.
Thank you so much for your help Slickshift!

Group Moderator

FL

09-17-05, 05:22 AM   #5  
Just curious, but you DID get a good price I hope, because it's essentially a two year old car and if some drunk plows into you next month and totals it, his insurance will be paying you accordingly.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

09-17-05, 05:31 AM   #6  
When i bought my 92 F-150 new, the dealership tried to sell me an extended warranty. After reading it, I found that one year of the extended warranty overlapped my original warranty. At almost $1000 I politely said "no thanks".

09-17-05, 07:41 PM   #7  
To the_tow_guy...Yes I did get a very good price. I did the homework and checked several sources online. Also checked the value of my trade-in. I did get more than book value for the same car mint. The deal almost sounded too good, so I ran the vin with carfax. Clean

To majakdragon...That overlap happened to me when I bought a used car years ago, so I asked if this was a 'true additional 3 years'. He said yes, it was a new car purchase. Paperwork came back with a different story. He promised to see what he could do. At least it wasn't a flat-out 'that's what it is' answer. Will see.

Just to clarify, the car was not a demo, but a leftover. The purchase aggreement also shows NEW CAR purchase.
The information and advice I have gotten from these forums has helped me to 'deal with the dealer'. I did not like the attitude or answers I was getting from the first service advisor, so I went to the service manager. Now I am getting better attitude, treatment and answers from the new service advisor.
They seem to be making every effort to address all my concerns.
Something else I have learned, that phone call or letter from the manufacturer that asks about your buying/service experience can be important. I have heard several times, that if I could not give the best rating, to please give them the opportunity to make things right....It works!

Visiting Guest

11-13-05, 02:56 PM   #8  
DinoG1975
they should have replaced the battery b4 you took delivery. they can get that warranteed.

i wouldn't be concerned about buying a car that has been sitting on the lot for that long....

11-23-05, 10:07 AM   #9  
If Ford is still using three year batteries in their new cars (???) and you got it at two, get a good new battery at your convenience. Other then that it should be an OK car.

11-28-05, 02:51 PM   #10  
Thanks to all for your responses, it really helped! The dealer took care of the oil change, and they will give me a new battery at next service visit. The warranty question was settled to my satisfaction.
This experience has taught me a lesson, and I am getting educated at this forum!

11-29-05, 04:09 PM   #11  
Thanks for the update
Sounds like it's working out well

Search this Thread