Help, please! California laws on backing out of warranties?

Old 10-01-05, 12:16 AM
Sarah Mullen
Visiting Guest
Help, please! California laws on backing out of warranties?

I can't believe this even now, but I just (tonight) made some really idiotic decisions when buying my new (used, but new to me) car at the Toyota dealership. Without going into all the lame excuses, I signed for a bunch of warranty coverage that I don't even want, not realizing exactly how much I was committing to.
I really can't afford and don't even want the stuff I ended up being committed to. I understand that, in California, there is no "cooling-off" period regarding the purchase of a car, and I am fine with the car itself, but does anyone know the rules regarding extended warranties and added products such as fancy security systems? The stuff I really want to get out of has not yet been installed in/applied to the car, if that makes any difference.
I'm tempted to sign "Deer in the headlights"...
Sarah

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-05, 09:38 AM
Don't know about Cal. laws (I left a couple of years ago )

I would suggest finding and contacting your local consumer protection agency. Sounds like a little "high pressure selling" was involved with your purchase - and you fell for it.... Don't know if you have recourse or not... but they can tell you.

Old 10-01-05, 10:06 AM
I would call the dealership and talk to the owner. Explain the situation, especially if it was high pressure tactics that got you to agree. If they had to order the accessories you may have to pay a restocking fee but that is cheaper than paying for all this stuff you neither want or need. Good luck.
BBB may be worth writing to if you cannot be relieved of the obligation.