Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1993 ford taurus should I get it free?

TX

11-16-05, 05:58 AM   #1  
1993 ford taurus should I get it free?

My Folks in California have a 1993 Ford Taurus that they got from my grandfather when he passed away a few years ago it has 130 thousand miles on it.
They said they want to give it to the gardneur because my dad says it is un reliable.I know my dad and he takes good care of his cars he takes it in and has all work done by his mechanic.
I live in Texas and I was thinking of flying out there and driving it back.Any thoughts on a 93 ford taurus?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-16-05, 03:52 PM   #2  
Known far and wide for transmission failures, usually at very low mileage. If it has that many miles on it, could be one of the non-lemon's to come off the assembly line. The 3.8L engine is also a frequent head gasket blower. This would be considerably cheaper to fix if it needed it than the tranny which could run in the $1500 range. My dad's last car was a '93 Sable (same car) and it was a P.O.S. Thankfully all of the failures occured after my younger brother inherited it (or not so thankfully since I had to do some of the repairs). Here is a partial list of items that failed PRIOR to 50,000 miles: transmission, head gasket, ac compressor, motor mounts, timing cover gasket. Probably forgetting a few.

Is your dad mad at the gardner?

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

TX

11-16-05, 05:10 PM   #3  
lol

Thanks I figured it might be classified as a POS I am still thinking about getting it.There is just something about a free car that still runs well I can not pass up.
I really do not need it as I have two late model Toyotas that are great.
He says it is getting unreliable I will ask him what he has done to it already as far as replacments of engines or trannies.
If I do get it and it does not crap out on me on the way to TX I might just sell it for what I can get out of it.
Maybe the garnener might be the lucky guy to get one of Fords finer automobiles
I thank you for your honest input and as a tow truck driver I know you have had several of these fine cars on your hook.

AL

11-17-05, 06:51 AM   #4  
No, you shouldn't get it for free. You should pay for it!

11-17-05, 09:30 AM   #5  
There's no such thing as a free car

There's always something....

Really if the head gasket and tranny issues have already been addressed, those are the biggies

Group Moderator

FL

11-17-05, 10:28 AM   #6  
The standing joke at one of the tranny shops we tow for is, "hey, here's something you haven't seen in a while - a Taurus (aka Sable) with a tranny problem!". Followed by chuckles all around.

MO

11-17-05, 11:58 AM   #7  
sorry, but you're sounding awfully greedy to me. you don't even need the car. it's barely worth the money you'll spend on airfare to go get it. AND......it's an ugly car! be a good guy & let the poor gardener have it! geez....

Thanksgiving is next week. Be thankful for your "two late model Toyotas that are great."

Last edited by Annette; 11-23-05 at 10:44 AM.

MO

11-17-05, 12:48 PM   #8  
you know.......now that i've read your post again, i'm wondering......

let's recap: the car was your grandfather's, and now it's your dad's. your dad wants to give it to his gardener. right?

i don't recall reading that you were ever offered the car.

TX

11-17-05, 03:32 PM   #9  
Free

The key word is free as far as flying down there no problem thats almost free as I work for a airline.And that will give me an excuse to have some free time away from the house .
I always get the hand me down cars got some good ones in the past but never a Ford with such a poor track record. from owners.
I just found out that it does have the 3.0 engine with original head gaskets transmission is stock but has has all oil changes done,A/C system has been upgraded to a new type freon.Also new radiatior in 2001.

11-17-05, 06:44 PM   #10  
Posted By: michael van I just found out that it does have the 3.0 engine with original head gaskets transmission is stock
Well if they were bad ones, it should have shown up before 130K and almost 13 years
Do a compression test and a good tranny work out test drive before driving it back

TX

11-18-05, 04:01 AM   #11  
will do

I sure will test drive and check everything before the 1500 mile road trip but I know my dad and he has a good mechanic that he has been seeing for many many years with all his cars he has owned.
And unlike me that is always broke he can clunk out cash for anything that would come up unexpectidly so maintenance was always done just to make sure.
Were I would buy the cheapest tire he would get the best for the money.

Group Moderator

FL

11-19-05, 06:09 PM   #12  
The 3.0L motor was better engineered annd reliable (if "reliable Ford" isn't an oxymoron) than the 3.8L.

11-23-05, 10:08 AM   #13  
Posted By: michael van The key word is free as far as flying down there no problem thats almost free as I work for a airline.
It's not free, you still have to pay something for the air fare. Probably worth that though.

TX

12-03-05, 10:16 AM   #14  
update

Well I went to California last week to get the car and came back with a better car my father also had a 2000 Ford taurus SES with a FFV engine and 70 thousand miles on it.He gave me that one.Nice car lots of bells and whistles.Drove it back at about 80 MPH average on cruise control and got a average of 30 MPG.
My wife really likes the car and my poor Toyota Corrola does not get driven as much

Group Moderator

FL

12-03-05, 02:28 PM   #15  
So you stuck the poor gardner with the other one?

Search this Thread