Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

buy used car or remodel old car

Visiting Guest

12-14-05, 08:17 PM   #1  
maggie159
buy used car or remodel old car

my father love his old car - 1980 mitsubishi lancer. my sisters and i are thinking of buying a used car for him this christmas. or maybe fix his old car that he really loves. needs paint. no headlights. no a/c. got to check breaks. and other stuffs. we cant seem to decide. we dont know how much it would cost the fix. we look forward to give our dad a good stuff this season.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

12-15-05, 04:58 AM   #2  
I don't think I would buy another car as a surprise. Car buying likes & dislikes can be very personal. If the car doesn't have any terminal illnesses (tranny going, overheating), I would opt for fixing the worst of the problems (brakes!).
You might talk to your favorite mechanic (get a referal from friends & family if you don't have a favorite) and get an estimate for the worst stuff.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

AL

12-15-05, 08:27 AM   #3  
The car fix-up probably would be the most appreciated, since your Dad loves the car already, assuming that the expense is of no particular importance. Are you aware that a decent re-paint job will probably cost more than a Mitsu of that age will be worth?

Group Moderator

WI

12-15-05, 07:45 PM   #4  
I know you want to surprise your dad, but I have seen too many 'bad' surprises over the years. I would talk to your dad and get his input or you may spend a lot of money and have him not be happy.

Group Moderator

FL

12-15-05, 08:09 PM   #5  
Hadn't considered one othe angle that jmc made me think of: even though he "loves" the car, he could already be thinking of dumping it - so even the repirs might not be a good idea. Better feel him out pretty well before getting in too deep.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Search this Thread