Sketchy Car Purchase Story and a DMV question.

Old 01-15-06, 09:54 PM
Sketchy Car Purchase Story and a DMV question.

Had a very interesting and pretty sketchy vehicle transaction go down last week and now I am trying to figure out how not to get completely screwed when I go the the DMV this week. Ok, i'll try to keep this as brief as possible. Basically I bought a car from someone who didn't have his name on the title. I think he bought the car and never registered it or have the title transferred into his name. I paid for the car and have the title. The title is from the state of Florida and I live and purchased the vehicle in California. The vehicle has no plates. I purchased it last week on 1/11/06. The title itself says it was issued on 5/5/2005 and strangely enough, the last owner (not the guy i bought it from) signed his name and listed 12/13/04 as the sell date. I'm not sure how the real owner sold the car before the title was issued? Anyway, DMV charges its out of state registration fees and penalties based on how long the car has been in the state and how long it hasn't been registered. Honesty, I have no idea how long the car has been in the state, but I'm wondering if I can forge the sell date on the title and change 12/13/04 to 12/13/05 which might help me save some fees and it would reflect a date somewhat closer to when I actually bought it. I also think that it would make sense to change it because the sell date would then be after the title issue date. Would this be a totally bad idea? Might I get busted for doing that kinda thing? Will the DMV somehow know that the car was actually sold on 12/13/04 (if in fact it was)? Here are what I consider to be my options:

1. Go to the DMV and claim that the seller must have meant to write 12/13/05 (not 12/13/04) as the sell date since the title wasn't even issued until 5/5/2005.

2. Cross out the sell date completely and fill in the actual date I purchased it (i.e. 1/11/06).

3. Write over 12/13/04 and make it say 12/13/05 and run with story #1 if questioned.

I signed my name on the title as the purchaser. Here is a pic of the title and I circled the title issue date as well as the date sold. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

http://www.xxxxxxxxxx

Moderator edit:

Posting your vehicle registration form in public would leave you open to the possibility of a major fraud.
For your's and the other named person's protection I have deleted the link.

Last edited by GregH; 01-16-06 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Remove link
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 04:36 AM
You can not alter a title in any way. The BMV will say it's void and you"ll have to go back to the previous owner and they will have to get a new title issued to them and sign it over.

The best advise is to take it as is and see what the BMV says and follow their instructions.

Old 01-19-06, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
You can not alter a title in any way. The BMV will say it's void and you"ll have to go back to the previous owner and they will have to get a new title issued to them and sign it over.

The best advise is to take it as is and see what the BMV says and follow their instructions.
I agree with the above and had an issue where the seller wrote in marker and it bled. DMV refused it and I had to track down the seller and have them obtain a new title. I almost had to take him to small claims over this since he had my money and refused to take the time to get the documents corrected.

Leave the title as is and go with story 1, bought it Dec 05 seller wrote the wrong year as proof of title issuance.

Good Luck,

Doug

Old 01-24-06, 08:18 AM
Then there is always the less popular course - honesty!