Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crown Victoria

02-05-06, 12:54 PM   #1  
Crown Victoria

With in the next couple months to a year I am going to be buying a car and am looking at the crown vics. I really want one of the police interceptors, what do you guys think about this being a first car for a 16 year old.

Sponsored Links

02-05-06, 02:09 PM   #2  
Vics are a nice heavy car. It should be fine if you don't want to impress your friends with the horses. Not sure how your insurance company will react with the engine size. Drive it in a sane manner and within the law and you should have a great ride. Good luck.

02-05-06, 06:36 PM   #3  
How well do they handle? I do have kind of a lead foot, but I think after having to pay for the gas a couple times I should be able to calm it down.

02-05-06, 06:47 PM   #4  
I have never owned one but, friends say they are real good handling.

02-06-06, 06:48 AM   #5  
The weird thing is, is that another forum site I was on say that they are not very easy to handle at higher speeds? And jsut not very good handleing at all, and this came from a cop who drives them.

02-06-06, 07:15 AM   #6  
Guess it depends on what you compare it to. The person you talked to may prefer his own vehicle to the Vic. Since this is the main car you will be driving, you will probably get used to it and say other cars are hard to control.

02-06-06, 07:27 AM   #7  
Ok, thanks for the advice.

Is there any easy way to get more horsepower out of these cars, like a turbo, supercharger, or is crate motor the only way to go?

Did these cars ever come with a standard transmission?

02-06-06, 08:33 PM   #8  
why would you want more power ? this car has a V8 engine at least a 351 ci if not bigger, your insurance will be high enough i think, also Fords tend to overheat and guzzle gas , this from my own experience.
I dont know why others say is a hard or rough drive in my experience it is not, police interceptors are modified for even more hp than stock and a better transmission too, and suspension on crown victoria's is smooth.
That said I dont think this kinda car is right for a 16 year old, first insurance, second too much power, third too much gas, and finally why would want anybody to mistake you for a real police car ? especially if you're ever on a shady neighborhood or gang area.
Just my personal opinion.

02-07-06, 06:19 PM   #9  
I live in the boonies in the middle of no where.

What type of car would you suggest?

02-07-06, 09:18 PM   #10  
Hands down a pick up truck , older models if you can, is a more utility vehicle, way easier to mantain than most cars, and last a lot longer too.
A 4x4 wouldn't hurt either .
Look at Chevys 85-95, Dodges are good too but more gas guzzlers, Sorry I dont like Fords at all ( I used to but got tired of 'em many years ago ).
Just my personal opinion.

02-08-06, 05:21 AM   #11  
the crown vic is a decent car you shouldnt just be considering a police model when you can probably find one in better shape that hasnt been abused by purchasing a used one from an individual.
you would have to get a very old crown vic to get a 351 I believe 91 or older, the more modern ones have a small v8 4.6 liter.
the crown vic will get better gas mileage than any v8 4wd pickup ever will even though its still considered a gas guzzler by some people, I guess compared to a 4 or 6 cylinder car it is.

TX

02-08-06, 01:27 PM   #12  
police cars

The crown vic police cars are driven hard things like power slams into drive jumping curbs you name it just look at the show cops to see how they are driven.
My friend bought a cop car and the trannie already puked on it.They keep them about to 80 thousand miles and pull all the police junk like flashing lights sirens,radios etc off.
They even pull the spare out because if you sell 4 cars you have a set of extra tires.
I drove with him one time and I was not that impressed with the speed many cars go faster then the crown vic.

02-08-06, 06:13 PM   #13  
I ran a search on newer crown victorias and look what i've found :

http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/

not to scare anyone but something to look into before you buy.

02-08-06, 09:10 PM   #14  
forgot about that one....ford redid the pinto..... as for the cop cars, taxi services do buy them.... and get around 300 thousand total miles or so out of either the chevy or ford. thats city driving....

Group Moderator

FL

02-09-06, 06:38 AM   #15  
Go ahead and buy the used Crown Vic Police Interceptor. We towing companies love people who buy these kinds of cars!

You might make a short list of cars that you could live with (decent gas mileage, safe, low maintenance, not too un-cool) and drop by your insurance agent to see what the various makes/models will run you for insurance. Sometimes the range is pretty wide.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

03-29-06, 06:47 AM   #16  
I had a 76 Plymouth RCMP police car and I loved it. Power was endless.These cars can last a long time mine did and i think if you drive one of the new police interceptors you will be happy with their power. (This is just my opinion.)

Search this Thread