selling my car with owner financing

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-06, 12:59 PM
bobaftt
Visiting Guest
selling my car with owner financing

I am going to sell my car and was contemplating doing it with owner financing to squeeze every drop that I can out of the car. Does anyone have any idea how one would structure this note?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-06, 01:24 PM
A few things to think about. The buyer will not be able to obtain insurance for a car they do not have a title to. You can't turn the title over until it is paid for. You are not a "lending institution" so it would be doubtful that you could issue a temporary title. Thus, any damages to the vehicle would be your problem. What you are doing, in essence, is renting the buyer your car. Someone else may come in here with a viable answer but I think it is a bad idea to try to do this. Good luck.

Old 02-15-06, 01:53 PM
bobaftt
Visiting Guest
Lien holder

I was going to place a lien on the title and require my buyer to provide proof of insurance.

Old 02-15-06, 01:57 PM
bobaftt
Visiting Guest
you are the 2nd person to say bad idea though so maybe it isnt a great idea. I think I am going to have to lean towards the cash sale instead. I was just trying to squeeze a little extra blood from the turnip

Old 02-15-06, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Just to pile on a little, the new buyer could show you proof of insurance, cancel it the next day, and total the vehicle the day after that. After which you would have a nice vehicle title for your scrapbook.

tg

Old 03-29-06, 06:30 AM
If buyer hits and kills someone you are the one that the name is on the title. best to sell it out right. Will save you money in the long run.(This is just my opinion.)

Old 04-21-06, 06:35 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
You see this all the time in get rich quick schemes money for nothing and the chicks for free. A man has to factor in risk as all the other posters have pointed out. The risk factor in this makes it worth ziltch to me, lay down your get rich scheme and slowly step away from it LOL

Old 04-27-06, 08:35 PM
Thumbs up Price vs. Terms

I have sold two cars with owner financing. In both cases, I collected 15% & 10% as a down payment and charged 20% & 24% APR respectively. I structured the deal so that I was able to make my initial purchase price through their initial their down payment and 18 monthly payments. However, the term of their loan was 30 months, so I was able to collect a full year's worth of payments as pure profit.

You have to understand that you are doing this to make a profit of 50% more than what you would normally collect by selling for cash.

If the numbers don't make sense then don't do it. But if the numbers are there, and you don't have anything to lose then why not try it. Anyone that tells you its a bad idea are speaking from FEAR and not from FINANCE.

I used a Automotive Loan Servicing company to collect payments for me. On my second deal, they even offered to by my note but they only wanted to give me 70% of the note value. In addition to handling payment, they checked the status of insurance every quarter. But I later learned that you can send a directive to the insurance company to notify you if they ever lapse. Then you have grounds to repossess but it has to in your Retail Finance Agreement.

There are a lot of people that can't get financing for a decent car. You can provide financing for a vehicle and net a good return on your assets.

Best Success!

Old 04-28-06, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
And, of course, you reported the profits to the IRS on your 1040, right?

Old 05-01-06, 06:44 AM
Interest Income - 1099-INT

Anytime you arrange owner financing, then you are earning income that taxable to the IRS. So, obviously it is important to understand that you have to both report and pay taxes on the interest that you've earned.

Although I have a personal accountant, any tax preparation firm can prepare a 1099-INT for you to report the interest portion of the payment that you receive.

By charging the buyer interest, I acted like a finance company so I paid tax on the interest income. It's no different than paying tax on the earnings of a stock dividend.

Old 04-14-09, 07:12 PM
Hello You said that you used an Automotive Loan servicing company? Which one was it

Old 04-15-09, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Three year old thread, Jay, and these were his only posts.

Old 05-05-09, 06:01 AM
I live in Atlanta. Any suggestions, on how to sell my Toyota Yarish 2005 in quick time?

Old 05-05-09, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Place a classified ad in the newspaper, put it on Ebay Motors, or take it to a dealer.

Closed Thread