Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Good Vehicle for First Time Driver?

02-20-06, 06:11 AM   #1  
Good Vehicle for First Time Driver?

What would be a good vehicle for a first time driver? It has to be under $4000 dollars and insurance cant be a million an a half a year. I like ford... and I was thinking an F-150 or a Ranger...but, if there is something better, that I might take a look at it. Any advice welcome

Sponsored Links

02-20-06, 06:53 AM   #2  
Most areas have much higher prices on pick-ups than on cars. More demand for them. Insurance is really worth looking into. Agents can give you ideas for your best deal. Age of the driver and being a male takes the price up. Engine size and body style also add to the mix. Color raises the rate too. Gets the cops attention too. Don't buy a red vehicle. What happened to the Crown Vic?

02-20-06, 07:45 AM   #3  
Im just testin the field, I would like a crown vic, but none of them are close, the closest one is almost 200 miles away. with being in our local fire department I have learned about the red vehicles, they are not the best color vehicle, which is by the way?

02-20-06, 02:31 PM   #4  
Trucks are traditionally bad first vehicles for new drivers
The problem is, they handle like trucks
New drivers unfamiler with all aspects of handling and experimenting unsupervised need something a bit more stable
A quick accident avoidence lane change by a n00b (heck by a seasoned driver) can topple those things in a heartbeat

The other thing to consider is larger cars are proven safer vehicles for teen drivers
I know most don't like the idea of a grampa-mobile, but most newer drivers will hit stuff
Not bad, just fender-benders, but it really helps for them to have more fender around them to bend

Ask at the Triple-A office or web-site, or Consumer Reports best used vehicle reports
The best vehicles for new drivers are big sedans
...like a Crown Vic et al.

02-20-06, 05:25 PM   #5  
thanks for the advice. the crown vic majakdragon was talking about, i was planning on making into a sleeper. the thing about how you were saying baout inexperience, i have almost 50 hrs of driving in with trucks, the only thing is is that it has alwyas been out in fields. but I have done over 50 mph down the road before. I know that amounts to almost nothing but im sure it will help me when i go to get my permit/license.

02-23-06, 03:21 PM   #6  
how about a nice little Saturn?

cheap..FWD..airbags.......good gas mileage.....safe.

02-25-06, 08:08 AM   #7  
Try a Toyota Camry, or Lexus ES300 that is 10 years old, and has about 150,000 miles and runs good. These can be had for about $2000-3000 and will run reliably up to about 200-250K miles.

TX

02-27-06, 06:53 PM   #8  
trucks

I have many many years of driving experience I am 51 and have been behind the wheel since 16 I have had cars trucks big small you name it I drove it.
The thing with pickups is they get squirley when driven with no load and in some rain or worse ice.Even for a driver like me I get white knuckles when I drive my truck in bad weather.
I always opt to drive the bigger front wheel drive Ford in these conditions.
If you want to save money on insurance and gas and dont really care about tire burning performance (tires cost alot now days) get something like a Camary or Corolla put in a big radio and have fun.

03-04-06, 09:20 PM   #9  
you also might to look into an older volvo, these cars have always been on the most highest safety ratings. yes, the older ones are ugly as bat crap, but as a first car not bad for safety. stay away from small trucks, heck, like the other guys said, stay away from big one as well, till you get you some experiance. i have had trucks in the past , but for the past few years have been driving a minivan,
then i bought a new truck, it handles a heck of a lot more different. just some thoughts, hopes this may help with your choice. just remember, you are young, whatever you choose to drive as your first car, drive safely, so you can get that second car, third car, etc............ just be safe.

barry (i got a boy too)

03-08-06, 08:13 AM   #10  
Older volvo or a taurus. Both I find easier to navigate than most. Volvos and taurus' tend to have little blind spots - A HUGE problem for new drivers. They are also safe vehicles in the event that something does happen. Most new drivers aren't bad drivers and crash, but most lack the skills necessary to avoid iminant crashes - and most drivers are terrible

04-17-06, 10:14 AM   #11  
Trunk might be a good thing. Or you may try little Saturn? Because it is cheap, airbags, good gas mileage and most importantly safe.

04-27-06, 02:18 PM   #12  
Alright, I have seen your plight earlier and I decided to register to give you some advice if you are still considering a Crown Vic.

First of all, I'm seventeen and I have been driving a '95 Crown Vic LX for almost a year now. It is about twelve years old, and pushing 188,000 miles. I love the beast; it's huge, comfortable, practical, and has a decent amount of power.

It's true that a vic is not a good car for younger drivers; there are some large blind spots, but regular and habitual use of mirrors and checking over your shoulder eliminates any problems there. Another thing is that the hood and trunk extend what seems like a mile in front and behind you, so that takes some getting used to. However, once you can parallel park a vic, you can park just about anything, except for maybe a limo or double cab f250, heh.

I noticed you were wondering about handling in the one thread. Most Fords handle very smoothly, as in the steering wheel is relatively easy to turn. GM's, on the contrary, have a much stiffer feel, so it is easier to stay in a straight line and control your turn with them. The vic has a fairly small turning radius for a larger car. The brakes on newer models are good, but older models like mine tend to have brake trouble. Nothing serious, however. On a side note, vics have excellent back-up lights, unlike Hondas (my mom's minivan has horrible ones).

Newer model fords and mercurys do tend to guzzle gas. My dad drives an '01 marquis, and my '95 vic gets much better economy. The transmission has been replaced on my car, along with the suspension, a door lock motor, and various other small things. Electric motors for windows and power locks in Fords tend to give out somewhat early; I still need to replace a window one. Basically, if you get an older vic, make sure it has not been driven hard or find out if the transmission is new. You don't want a police cruiser; those things get torn up. Long periods at high revs, hard shifting and braking, small collisions, oversteering, and general abuse wears em out, which is why they are so easy to find for sale.

Now, seeing as you are 16, there are several things you would love about a vic. My LX still has its factory premium sound system, and it still sounds better than some new cars. There is a huge trunk (we're talkin enough to fit two people squatting comfortably), which is handy for luggage. The cavernous backseat (ahem) is great for hauling your friends around, and is kind to passengers on a road trip.

Okay, so you like speed. Now, the vic ain't no Maserati, but it's definitely not the beater people think it is. The standard 4.6 V8 for the crown vic gets about 225 horses (with a single exhaust). My car has the handling package, which makes it a lightbar short of a cop car. This gives it dual exhaust, cooled transmission (great for towing or mountain roads), and a heavier duty suspension. Not to mention the horsepower at the rear wheels is bumped up to about 240. I have begun to use Royal Purple synthetic oil in my car, and I have noticed a definite power gain in the past few weeks. On occasion, I have raced another driver. No four cyclinder car has beat me yet, and every honda or riceburner that wanted some hasn't beaten me yet either. Actually, I did lose once, but I was carrying five people on a full tank of gas with everyone's backpacks in the trunk. And it was still close, haha.

Vics are great for young drivers because they are safe. For example, my dad was rear-ended in his marquis (which is basically the same car) by a Toyota traveling at about 20 mph. The front end of the yota crumpled, and my dad ended up with a smudge-nothing else-on his rear bumper. No damage. So tell your parents that a vic is a safe car.

One downside is the length of the car. It is 20 feet long from bumper to bumper. Now, I'm used to driving the boat, but I have had problems from the size of the car. For example, on wet roads, a vic would have a higher tendency to lose control in a turn because of its weight, length, and power, all of which combine to equal lost traction in the rear wheels, and eventually spinning out.

Wow, I didn't mean to write this much.

In conclusion, I definitely recommend a vic or marquis. However, just be careful what you are buying. One with the handling package is hard to come across, but definitely ask about it (surefire way to tell if one has it is the dual exhaust). Also, some vics can be a bore. I am particularly lucky in that the woman who owned mine before me bought the car on a hotel tab, and she was able to check off all the special options (heated side mirrors, dimming rearview mirror, leather power seats with lumbar support, digital speedo and guages, premium sound system). So it's all about what you get. You might not be as happy with one vic as you are with another. I agree, though, that in the country, a truck is better if you need to go off road on a regular basis. Vics fare well for short periods of time on dirt, gravel, grass, but aren't made for it. Another note: most older vics tend to have the paint job wearing down, especially on the roof. Just because a car looks nice does not mean it's a good car; you can always get a paint job if you want it to look great.

Anyways, just tryin to help a fellow out. If you have any more questions about vics that I might be able to help you answer, don't hesistate to ask.

Good luck

PS: My car gets about 19mpg and 17 at the lowest in the city (it takes a LOT of hard acceleration, stopping, and idling to put it down that low) and usually about 23-24 on the highway (with cruise control). The insurance on my car is extremely low. I pay about $112 every six months because I make good grades, I have not had any accidents, and my car is an older model. I have also completed a driver's ed course in school and a safety course from the insurance company, which has helped tremendously. I am looking into an extreme defensive driving course to drop it lower.

Last edited by CrownVicman95; 04-27-06 at 02:28 PM.

05-04-06, 02:57 PM   #13  
Finally, we get some serious back up for ford. Thank you crownvic man

05-12-06, 08:52 AM   #14  
GEO Prizm

Geo Prizm 1992
1. reliable.
2. fuel effcient.
3. inexpensive.

good luck.

Search this Thread