Best way to sell a used car?

Old 04-17-06, 07:57 AM
Best way to sell a used car?

I have a used car.

I am trying to figure out the best way to sell it. A one week ad in the major newspaper here costs about $30. Or I could try e-Bay Motors or some online car selling website. I am wondering what my best approach would be for selling this car?

Any advice is appreciated.

Moderator's Note: All details about this car including the make, it's condition, the asking price, and the owner's location, etc, have been removed, as they are irrelevant to the question. SOLICITING IS PROHIBITED in these forums and grounds for banning.

Last edited by Annette; 04-18-06 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
I ran it on NADA and the low retail value comes up as $2550, so your asking price is not out of line. For less than the newspaper ad you can get two weeks from AutoTrader [www.autotrader.com] that includes both print & on-line ad with picture. That would be my first choice.

Oops. Check the autotrader rates for your area. Looks like the rates and combinations differ by area.

Old 04-17-06, 11:31 AM
Thanks, I will try autotrader.com.

Old 04-18-06, 06:34 AM
Please note:

this forum topic is for general questions ABOUT buying & selling vehicles.

It is NOT intended as a place TO BUY or SELL vehicles.

SOLICITING is strictly prohibited and doing so may result in member being permanently banned.

Please adhere to forum policies.

Thank you!

Last edited by Annette; 04-18-06 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 09:06 AM
Sorry, I thought that I was asking how to sell it. I certainly had no intention of trying to sell the car here.

I only included some details to give the reader a better understanding of my situation. Selling a 13 year old car with high mileage and some mechanical problems is not like selling a two year old car with low miles and perfect condition.

The reply from The Tow Guy suggested using Auto Trader. That was exactly the kind of advice I was seeking.

Any violation of rules was unintentional. Yesterday the thread just disappeared, so I assumed that I had run afoul of your rules.

Old 04-18-06, 09:23 AM
sorry - it was just too detailed. it read like an ad. more general terms, like it reads now, still get your point across.

thanks for understanding.

Old 04-18-06, 09:45 AM
Got a CarMax nearby? If so they give a better than expected price and you don't have the hassles of selling privately. I've sold several cars to them and always felt they gave me a good price.