Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I remove window tinting?

04-25-06, 04:07 PM   #1  
How do I remove window tinting?

I have several questions and I hope this is the right place. I recently purchased a vehicle that has very dark tint. I want to remove it, what is the best way. Can I just use a scraper on it?

How many cars can a person buy and sell in one year without getting a dealers license?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links

04-25-06, 08:06 PM   #2  
Posted By: Curious Homeowner I have several questions and I hope this is the right place. I recently purchased a vehicle that has very dark tint. I want to remove it, what is the best way. Can I just use a scraper on it?

How many cars can a person buy and sell in one year without getting a dealers license?

Thank you very much!

removal use soapy water and a good blade scraper, second question in my state is 3 cars per year max.

04-26-06, 05:49 AM   #3  
Thank you!

MI

04-28-06, 04:39 PM   #4  
5 cars in my state (MI)

OH

04-28-06, 05:12 PM   #5  
Tint removal is easier if you wait until glass heats up in hot sun. Then, apply soapy water solution. Use the razor to lift the corners of film and peel off. Once you get it off, soak the window with cleaner. Lay the film back over the window for 15-20 minutes to soak off residue. Then remove film and clean window.

05-19-06, 07:25 PM   #6  
I bought the car for resale and took your advice and it worked like a charm. The trick is getting the edge started after that its really downhill.

I was told after I had removed it my vehicle was worth about 500.00 more.

Thanks again!

06-04-06, 07:30 AM   #7  
rubbing alcohol

using rubbing alcohol on a rag can help get the last of the sticky residue, and then the alcohol evaporates.

06-04-06, 03:22 PM   #8  
Tint and cars per year

Curious,
As long as the tint was put on the glass and not in the glass the above advise should work fine.
The number of cars you can buy and sell in the same year without needing a dealers license depends on the state you live in.
And as I was told in Michigan by the DMV (Secrectary of state) that the law used to be a max of 5 cars per year BUT If you buy a car with the intent to sell for a profit, you need a dealers license. Also, if you do not sign the title in your name and sell it to someone else, that is called title jumping and that is also a crime.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread