3rd row seating

Old 05-21-06, 06:52 PM
3rd row seating

Can anyone recommend a decent, not too outragously expensive suv with third row seating. I'm not the minivan type so an suv will have to do. All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 12:15 PM
A few...

This article
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...size_suv_test/
is dated, but mentions a few. We just bought a sequoia to haul all the kids around- quite a change from my little honda 4 banger!

Old 05-22-06, 01:01 PM
I have a Honda Pilot. Retail for around 28K. The third row seating is fine for kids. Tight for adults. I've had adults ride back there for short trips and they said it was OK, but I think they were just being polite.

Old 05-23-06, 07:11 PM
Seriously if you need three rows, reconsider the "mini-van"

Old 05-24-06, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
Seriously if you need three rows, reconsider the "mini-van"
um...........NO. But thanks anyway.

Old 05-25-06, 10:45 AM
gsr
More detail...

What type of specs are you looking for?
Price, size, new/used, gas mileage,haul stuff, etc.

My wifes Toyota Highlander is very nice, and has a 3rd row but I wouldn't put anyone over 5 back there. My Suburban has a 3rd row an adult can sit in plus room behind it for everyones gear.
But it costs more and gets about 10 mpg less.

Old 05-26-06, 10:43 PM
king of suv's

what else ? get a Suburban you can't go wrong, I agree with you on No minivan they just don't feel right I guess center of gravity or having no actual chassis maybe.
Suburban is built on silverado chassis but is actually better on cornering due to shorter between axles distance, has a V8 engine with lots of power and torque 5.3 Liter standard for 1500 model, 6.0L or 8.1 L for the 2500 model.
We Own a K2500 2000 Suburban ( 4x4, heavy duty ), my wife loves it, I used to have a K1500 1992 Suburban the girl who bought from me fell in love with it first time she drove it.
Older models have a 45 gallon tank newer ones have a 39 gallon
tank, tank will go for about 500 miles average so they're not for the gas saving oriented.

Old 05-27-06, 03:49 AM
I agree with the Suburban.

Besides a guy can only look so cool in a mini-van.

Old 05-29-06, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by gsr
What type of specs are you looking for?
Price, size, new/used, gas mileage,haul stuff, etc.

My wifes Toyota Highlander is very nice, and has a 3rd row but I wouldn't put anyone over 5 back there. My Suburban has a 3rd row an adult can sit in plus room behind it for everyones gear.
But it costs more and gets about 10 mpg less.
Gas mileage is going to be my first concern. I'll be looking at something reasonably priced, and used will eo ok. A buddy of mine has the toyota highlander. Quite nice looking.

Old 05-30-06, 06:15 AM
gsr
Gas mileage...

If you look at the Suburbans, Sequia's, Durango's, Excursion's expect gas mileage in the 13-18 - with 18 being nice highway driving. If you got a diesel Excursion I've heard claims of around 20 mpg but don't know first hand.
If you look at the smaller SUV's - Highlander, CRV, etc. you'll get mid 20's on the highway.

If you don't need it don't get 4x4 it will add to the weight, mechanical problems, price, and lower the gas mileage.

The 2000+ model suburbans are great - but gas mileage won't be your primary concern.

Old 05-30-06, 09:47 PM
Like I said before I am very happy with our Suburban and couldn't recommend it enough for families it's just a lot of fun to ride with your kids with all the room and safety, it kind of bothers me how people obsess with mpg, everybody pays the same price at the pump, filling your tank is just part of life if it's $ 70, $ 80 or $ 100 to fill up it makes no difference you still have to spend money why try to save a few pennies ?
I' d rather have power, room and safety than to save a couple dollars at the pump.

Old 06-03-06, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
Suburban and couldn't recommend it enough for families...with all the ...safety..
Safety?
You do realize that you are over 30 times more likely to roll over that vehicle than a car-based vehicle? that's times, not percent
You and your family are also more then 30 times more likely to die in the event of a rollover...that's times, not percent

To be fair, the Suburban is the safest SUV tested
Also, rollovers don't tell the whole story
Yes, in a Suburban vs. Neon the Suburban is more likely to win (more dead and injured in the Neon)
But they are not safer vehicles over-all
The best, fairest, study I've seen that includes all data still puts the Suburban as less safe than the closest sedans and mini-vans

It's not a big deal, I understand the desire for such a vehicle
In many ways it is very convenient
They look cool
It's nice to see over traffic
And in certain types of crashes (low speed head-on vs. smaller), it can actually "be safer" for the occupants of the vehicle

Just please don't delude yourself that because it feels safe to be driving such a large vehicle, that it is safer than a car

That's a "feeling"

It is not a fact

Old 06-05-06, 04:32 AM
A used Acura MDX could be a good option, especially when you consider reliability. A cheaper option is the Highlander, but if you want more of a "truck" feel, go for a newer 4Runner.

Old 06-05-06, 07:29 PM
Well...

They just feel better than a car in many many ways, chance of rolling over being greater than a car because center of gravity is higher I think is valid but very remote, in any case if you're wearing your seatbelt a roll over should not be fatal ( ? ).Not that I think they roll over that easy anyways, GVW is about 3 tons , a little more on the 4x4 version.
Also when driving in extreme weather such as heavy rain or snow or high winds , I tell you I engage my 4x4 and my Suburban drives like a tank man !
So in my opinion the Feeling is based on Fact, or at least on the performance you can see , hear and feel.

Old 10-11-06, 06:35 AM
Raynman,

I'm with you on avoiding the minivan. Its like giving in. We bought a Volvo V70 wagon with a third row seat and its great. It replaced a Jeep Cherokee. Safe, reliable, powerful turbo engine (30 mpg) and NOT a minivan.

As far as the third row seat goes, it won't answer the mail as the kids get older than about 10, but it works for now.

When the time comes we'll probably be back in an SUV.
Tree