buying a newer car (Used Japanese, mid-size or compact)

Old 07-22-06, 02:57 PM
buying a newer car (Used Japanese, mid-size or compact)

ive been driving my 93 toyota corolla for about 9 years now recently ive been having multiple problems with it and i had to replace the battery, alternator, wheel bearing, wheel hub and my water pump and exhaust pipe will need to be replaced soon so sometime in near future (within 3 months) i am planning on buying a different car i am on a 14k budget and im going to buy a used car few criteria: it has to be japanese, mid-size or compact, decent mpg some of the choices are scion tc, a recent corolla, acura 3.2tl or the is300 any suggestions? what car would be the best choice? what price range should i expect for those models? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 08:03 AM
i have 2003 altima 2.5 and i like it a lot - should be able to get one for under $14 (my guess is about $12 which leaves room for tax and some $$ to invest).

Old 07-28-06, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Habs11
i have 2003 altima 2.5 and i like it a lot - should be able to get one for under $14 (my guess is about $12 which leaves room for tax and some $$ to invest).
Me too. Not that it's bad or anything but I think there's too many recalls on this one...did you hear about the one I posted not to long ago?...coming up in Aug.

If you are buying a used car, I don't think you can go with which one is the best to start off with b/c I think it would depend most on who you're getting it from, what kind of service has been done to it, was it well taken care of, any accidents, how many miles are on it, etc. Besides hearing or seeing what the seller has to say about the used car, you should take a look at all the information. There are online places where you can pay to get all the info on the actual car.

You can probably find a great car with 14k...just have to look hard and study...and research.

Old 07-28-06, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Not going to advise which car to buy, but something to maybe help you decide:

Check what kind of fuel they require. My old man works part time at an Acura & Subaru dealer and knows a little about the 3.2 TL - it requires premium fuel and both power and gas milage will suffer if run on 87 octane gas. That's something I would like to know about any car I was considering.

Old 07-29-06, 08:18 AM
All of this is very useful. Thank you very much guys. I'll continue to do my research and hopefully something good will come up. Thanks again

Old 07-29-06, 08:28 PM
Edmunds provides alot of detailed info on new and used cars. They have JD Power rankings, consumer ranking, reviews, average prices by location, etc.

I used Edmunds exclusively while shopping for my used car just recently. LOTS if great info on specific cars. I ended up buying an OLDER model than I could have gotten because of the reviews, and
the dependability of the older model. (half the mileage than the newer one I had my eye on)

Personally I do not like the is300. It feels like a nice Civic inside basically. Too small for me... and I am a small guy. The TL is nice!
If I had 14k to spend on a car I would be stuck researching for hours every day hehe. Good luck on your search!

Old 07-29-06, 09:01 PM
Talking car suggestions

Originally Posted by sergeyg
ive been driving my 93 toyota corolla for about 9 years now recently ive been having multiple problems with it and i had to replace the battery, alternator, wheel bearing, wheel hub and my water pump and exhaust pipe will need to be replaced soon so sometime in near future (within 3 months) i am planning on buying a different car i am on a 14k budget and im going to buy a used car few criteria: it has to be japanese, mid-size or compact, decent mpg some of the choices are scion tc, a recent corolla, acura 3.2tl or the is300 any suggestions? what car would be the best choice? what price range should i expect for those models? thanks in advance
Well, I like Nissans sentra and altima and Hondas accord and prelude myself. They are very dependable and not high matienenace vehciles. Nissans are usually priced way lower than Hondas ( just depending on the mileage and year of the vehcile). Hondas are a little more expensive, but are worth it and have better resale rates. They also get great mileage with the high gas prices we are having in the states. Prices will vary depending on year and mileage of vehcile. Ton's of research on the internet is the key to buying the prefect car for all your needs. Car quotes and vehcile reports are the very important. They usually cost money, but are worth it when buying a great vehcile. Buying from a indiviual owner is usually cheaper than buying from dealers (which seem like they are just out to make thousands of dollars off commisson sales.) Always remember to look around several places before buying from a dealer too.

Right now I have a 1993 Nissan Sentra 2 door that is pretty depenable ( but the a/c is out at the moment). My next car I will get probably is going to be a 4 door or 2 door honda accord or civic.

Old 07-30-06, 10:15 AM
Yep, when buying used, I prefer buying from a private party as well.

Majority of auto dealers are basically licensed crooks.

Old 09-10-06, 12:47 PM
my 2 cents

I would go with a certified from the dealer used maybe 20k miles Camry it is bigger then the Rolla you drive now and a quality car 14k you will find one.

Old 09-10-06, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Ummm, you seen the prices on used Camry's lately? A certified one with 20k miles is likely to run well over a $14k budget (at least around here). But I concur on buying a good used Camry; just got my brother into one via someone we tow for.

Old 09-11-06, 04:35 AM
been awhile

It has been awhile last one I got was in 98 bought a 97 model but ex got it in the settlement. Now I have had to downgrade to a used Corolla.
However if you look for one in the lower trim level you might find one.
I guess they are in high demand now with fuel prices up so they more probbaly went up in price.
Now I have a 2000 Corolla (low trim) 2004 Tacoma (low trim) and a 2000 Ford Taurus (high trim) stay away from Fords is all I can say.

Search this Thread