Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Internet prices final on used vehicles?

LA

10-04-06, 11:13 PM   #1  
Internet prices final on used vehicles?

Being in the market for a used truck, I do my research on the internet, carfax, blue book, trade-in values and retail values. I first call and make sure its up for sale to go and see it. Pictures don't really do any justice. I looked at one and it was in horrible shape, dents, scratches, cigarette burns , and their internet price was basically for excellent condition in all book values. Would even come off internet price so it wasn't even worth my time and I passed. Salesman doesn't even offer to work with me and says "ok, sorry, see ya later".....(must have a second job) Went to another and same thing, It's filthy , dents, scatches , cracked windsheid, very high mileage for being 3 years old (I made a long list and ran it by them in detail)

I knew more about the truck than they did. I had brought everything with me and I kept catching the salesman bulls^*ting me. Carfax does help in some ways and I find the most useful info is accident reports and the date they received it and put it up for sale.

I liked the truck only on my terms. The salesman gave me the internet price and lowballed my trade.

I told him that I wasn't a buyer for that price and gave him a lowball on his vehicle. (I new what kind of trade in his truck was and offered about 500.00 less).

Salesman looked a little confused at such a low offer (young as he was). I told him we gotta start somewhere.

He went ahead and told me that not even kelley's blue book value and that he doesn't know that the manager who accept that offer. I told him that kelley is not offering to buy the truck, I am and when he came back with the same thing, I went up 300 dollars. Finally the manager came and said that the most he can come down is a few hundred dollars and that's all he can do. I was looking for around 1500.00 off the asking price eventually.

He was not willing to negotiate any further, and thanked me for coming. I felt like I would have been doing him a favor by taking it off their hands with all the work it needed.

My question is this. Is Internet Prices for a used dealership their rock bottom price on their part or is this a power struggle that they don't want to lose? They seem to use this ploy to get you there to the dealership and are firm with that? Is this normal or do they not want to sell a vehicle? Are my expectations high or am I ok with what I'm doing? ..... James....

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

10-05-06, 04:10 AM   #2  
IMHO, no price ever quoted in print by any dealership is ever the rock-bottom-take-it-or-leave-it price.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

LA

10-05-06, 06:20 AM   #3  
That's what I thought . I 'll never buy anything at asking price. I don't think they cared for me much because they knew I did my homework and it might've been a power struggle. If so, I feel victorious because it's still in their lot and not mine.

Group Moderator

FL

10-05-06, 07:31 AM   #4  
For the most part, below a certain price they generally don't need to fight because some su--, I mean customer will come along and either pay full price or at least more than you are offering. I'm curious what the vehicle was and how low thye were willing to go.

LA

10-05-06, 08:00 AM   #5  
I looked at a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 4x4 LS Crew Cab.
Truck has over 90,000 miles and looks like it wasn't kept to good. First they lied about the year saying that's it's a 2002. Thanks to carfax I caught that. The truck was filthy and was never cleaned or detailed. They were asking 13,579.00.

According to carfax, the dealership had been on the lot for over a month and I confirmed that with the manager.

When I went out there they had said that they had just dropped the price. More BS. Ive looked at that same truck 2 weeks prior at that same price.

My first offer was 10,500 and I get my own floormats. a couple of times back and forth and I went to 11,200 and I'll do them the favor of getting it off their lot. (just trying to help)

when he refused, I wished them luck with it and left. They didn't care to spend a whole lot of time with me because I had an answer for everything they came at me with and I wasn't one for games.

The best part of the whole thing was they were the ones pulling out bogus kelley blue book. I never thought I would use it but I brought it with me anyway my own copy of kbb that I printed right before I arrived. My figures showed for what condition the truck was in was right on target.

They would have a hard time getting me back. The whole time, I was telling them how great they were and I will continue to work with them. I wonder if they bought my BS.

Group Moderator

FL

10-05-06, 08:21 AM   #6  
I might have gone a little more if I really, really wanted it, but that is a LOT of miles for an '03.

LA

10-05-06, 08:38 AM   #7  
just testing the waters. I wanted it but on my terms. A lot of work to get decent again and I wasn't about to be the one schilling out for everything. I know when I see the one for me and it hasn't happened yet.

10-05-06, 09:15 AM   #8  
hey James ...I know when I search for used cars on autotrader or some other site, the internet price seems to be lower than the price on the lot. I think you're right in that they lure you in and once you're there, they don't budge on the internet price. My strategy is if they won't budge down to a fair price, walk away. They'll be stuck with it and every day it sits on their lots, the more money they are losing ...maybe think of it that way. Tell them you know they need to move cars and what will it take to move that car and then start drilling them so they come down in price and if they don't, walk away like you did. They probably thought you were going to turn around and come back in. And good job on brining the kbb print offs with you ...I always do that too. Good luck.

Steve

10-05-06, 12:27 PM   #9  
Your best weapon when dealing with a car salesman is the willingness to "walk away". Dickering and showing BB values to them (why bother, they know what it says already) is a waste of your time. Make your offer - what you're really willing to pay - and, if they won't take it - walk. I'll bet you a dime to a doughnut that you will receive a phone call within 24 hours offering to negotiate.

LA

10-05-06, 04:30 PM   #10  
Thanks for the feedback. Did I mention the fact that I was the only person in the whole lot and dealership combined that wasn't a employee. I tend to notice these things when I shop a dealership as well as the vehicle. pretty quiet I might ad.

I feel I have to see my situation and determine a stratagy for the best opportunity for an affordable price that I can be comfortable with.

Being that my credit is pretty good and I have already taken care of financing with that blank check, it seems that the beginning of the month is not the best for me but rather for someone who is unprepared and with bad credit.

Since I'm in no big rush, I may have to wait towards the end of the month when sales are thriving to meet quotas.

Also to combat these so called internet prices, next time I call to make sure its avalilable , I'll make a point to ask if there prices are negotiatable or not. Why bother if there's nothing in it for me?

Once again, thanks for the input.

Search this Thread