Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What would you do?

MO

10-10-06, 06:03 PM   #1  
What would you do?

I have a 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. I recently put some new (used) tires on it. A new master cylinder. New water pump, belt and all the stuff around the belt that my mechanic recommended I replace while he was in there. It does not idle right which he suspects to be a vacuum leak. It has 140,000 miles on it. I decided to buy a newer vehicle and sell this one. Then something else broke on it. It is either the thermostat, fan, or oil pump. It gets very hot very fast and starts to clatter bad (that is why I am leaning towards the oil pump). I put a for sale sign on it as is and am asking $1000. I am not fixing it so it is not driveable.

Now is where my BIG problem comes in. Someone hit it. Now I have a big dent in the drivers door and the back panel. Since I can't drive it I can't get estimates. The woman who hit it is willing to do me right by filing insurance or whatever she needs to do. I had a friend come by who does body work and he guesses the damage to be between six and seven hundred dollars.

I don't really know that I have a specific question here, but from someone who knows about cars, what would you do at this point if this was your car and your problem? I truly just want to get rid of the car and don't have the time or money to have it towed to a couple of places for estimates. Other than the new damage there was only one minor scrape on the bumper and a couple of small dings on the front panel, so the body of the car would have been what sold it for me I think, since mechanically it needs work. It would have been a steal for a mechanically inclined person.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

10-11-06, 03:49 AM   #2  
Hopefully you got a police report, otherwise I wouldn't count on the driver doing the right thing. Having said that, it is HER repsonsibility to pay for whatever it takes to make it right. I'm guessing there was no report and she's not going thjrough insurance, so you'll just have to negotiate with her. I'm a little skeptical that you could have goten $1000 for it. I would approach her and see if she's willing to part with $800; if so, take it and sell the vehicle "as-is" to someone for a couple hundred more.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

LA

10-13-06, 09:40 AM   #3  
Your problem with your engine may be the fan clutch. This fan clutch is behind your fan and pretty much is responsible for running your water pump, oil pump, alternator and a/c compressor. I've had this problem before with the same symptoms. Have your mechanic check this out one more time. This is an inexpensive repair job and may put money in your pocket. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't tell you for sure.

MO

10-13-06, 10:35 AM   #4  
Thanks to all! I always appreciate responses on this site. It's the greatest!

SC

10-13-06, 10:39 AM   #5  
"what would you do at this point if this was your car and your problem? I truly just want to get rid of the car and don't have the time or money to have it towed to a couple of places for estimates."

I'd get what I could from the person who hit it, then sell it as is (even if I had to sell it to a junk yard) to rid myself of the problem. I'd also get another car.

MO

10-19-06, 08:10 AM   #6  
Just so you all know, as I had originally hoped, a mechanic jumped at the chance to buy this car, and despite the damage, he paid the original $1000 I was asking. I knew if I fixed it, I'd never get blue book for it, which was $2600 in fair condition and that's why I thought $1000 was a heck of a deal. I'm glad someone else did too.

And Bigfred, I had bought a truck one week before this car crapped out on me, so not too worry!

A happy ending!!!!

10-19-06, 04:26 PM   #7  
noguru ...I hope the woman who hit you paid you something for the damages before you sold it to the mechanic. Otherwise, she got off scott free b/c without a damaged car in your hands, nothing happened and she's off the hook. So how did you handle that? Predamage, you probably could have made at least another 1K on that car.

MO

10-19-06, 09:12 PM   #8  
We settled the damage by accepting her deductible of $500 so she did not have to go through insurance.

And it's funny you think I could have gotten another $1000 predamage when the other replies I had were telling me to get rid of the car for almost nothing.

Any way, I made out okay in my book. I didn't lose any money, so that in and of itself is a very good thing. And the car is gone. Another good thing. Now I can just enjoy my 2002 Nissan Frontier truck, which I am absolutely thrilled with!!!

Thanks to all for responses! This is a great site! I turn to it often!

10-20-06, 11:38 AM   #9  
Yeah, if the problem was the fan clutch which is sounded like it might have been, that could have been easily fixed for not much $$. Given the mileage and a "fair" condition on Kelley Blue Book (JX model) and the fact that you just replaced some other parts, the private party value came up to $3155. The mechanic knew that and even with the $500-$800 in body damage, he'll fix that car and maybe make $800-$1000 on it. If the car had not been damaged, you could have easily sold it for $2K-$2.5K. Convertibles are desirable anywhere in the country and especially where I live in So Cal. It's a Chrysler product so it didn't hold it's value well but you could have probably had another $1K in your pocket. No worries ...you got rid of the car and everyone is happy. Good luck with your Nissan.

Steve

LA

10-20-06, 05:32 PM   #10  
First of all, congrats on your truck! As for your convertible, I feel you did the best for what you wanted to do with it. You've gotten the most money with the least effort. $1500.00 not bad, not bad at all. Considering it wasn't running with numerous little problems. Yeah, you could've put a little more time and little bit more money (not much at all) into it and it would've paid off for you. I know what it's like to have that one car that you just want to get rid of. You just want it out of your sight at any cost. Your situations had many resolutions and it was up to you what you wanted. I'm new here as well and take heed of all the great advices that are given. I feel that they are all from personal experiences such as mine.

Remember now that you have your truck, take good care of it and keep all of your repair and maintenance receipts and keep it good running order. You never know when you may want to sell it or trade-in and it will pay off for you when that time comes.

MO

10-20-06, 06:42 PM   #11  
Thanks! Actually, I always keep up on my vehicles. That @^%#^^%$%%$ convertible was worth it's weight in GOLD as much as I've put into it over the years! LOL

So yes, I am just happy to see it goooooooooooooooooooooooo!

LA

10-21-06, 02:32 AM   #12  
Glad to see things went your way.

Last edited by jamead65; 10-21-06 at 08:11 AM.

Search this Thread