Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Any tips on selling?

LA

10-14-06, 08:54 PM   #1  
Any tips on selling?

Now that the buying part has been done, it is time to sell my truck that I would've traded in had I bought from a dealership (which wouldv'e been a bad idea anyway). I have taken good care of it and saved all my repair receipts. I've always detailed the engine once a month kept it exterior and interior clean and kept it in great running order. The tires have about 20,000 miles on it and have rotated every 7000 miles and have extended maintenance still effective. Basically what I'm saying is that I'm confident it will sell and I'm wanting certain price (Reasonable of course). It's not so much that it's pride but rather the reliability and the condition. I feel that there's not another truck of its kind that has been cared for like this one has.

This will be my first time selling and I have read from different sites. I would like to know if there's any tips from experience from others that can share with me.

Are buyers difficult? Is it easy or a pain in the butt? Are there dissapoints to expect such as unable to obtain loan or pull out at last minute? etc.......

What works? What doesn't? And anything else anyone can come up with.

Sponsored Links

10-16-06, 01:27 PM   #2  
jamead65 ...congrats on finding your Silverado and definitely wise move on not trading in your other vehicle. Sounds like you have taken very good care of it. I would normally say get the entire vehicle fully detailed but I doubt yours really needs it. Best thing to do to sell it is take photos of every part of the vehicle and list it on autotrader and Craig's List (and maybe cars.com). Internet exposure, as you probably know by now, is a great way to sell it fast. And if you list as much info about the vehicle as you can, it will help draw only the serious buyers to you. If you just list the year, make, model, price, and your phone no., most people will probably pass right by it b/c it might be a waste of their time to call you on a car that doesn't have exactly what they're looking for. From my experience selling cars and motorcycles, selling it via the trader group (autotrader and cycletrader for bikes) 100% of the time works for me. It may take several weeks but it will work. Also, if there are things wrong with your vehicle like a cracked windshield or a bald tire or maybe it needs a service interval performed, you might be better off taking care of that before you list it or be prepared to drop your price for any issues. You can appraise your own vehicle by using Kelly Blue Book online (kbb.com). What I do is click on the links as if I am going to buy my exact same vehicle from a private party and see what the value is. And one tip, I would not suggest you using the "Excellent" option for the vehicle condition unless your car is virtually brand new. The "Good" term typically applies to probably 99% of the used cars that people use "Excellent" for. Hope this helps and good luck!

Steve

Search this Thread