Toyota Camry

Old 03-18-07, 04:41 PM
Toyota Camry

Have the opportunity to get into a 99 camry with 52k. They want 8,500 for it. what do you think. I have a tacoma and know that toyota makes a good motor. Anyone know anything about the camry?
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty much bullet-proof with proper maintenance. We had 175,000 on my wife's '95 when we traded up to an '01. Old one ran like new when we traded it. New one now has 58k on it; runs like showroom. I prefer the 4 cyl over the V6; plenty of power, easier to maintain, more economical. Only problems we ever had on the old one were ac compressor, radiator, tranny shift solenoid. All three were when mileage was over 125k. Toyota engines and trannies are hard to beat, but you probably already know that.

Did a quick look on autotrader.com and most of the '99s there in that price range have a lot more miles on them. Sounds like a good deal.

I would only add that it's a good idea to keep up on your oil changes because some of the Toyota engines do have a problem with sludge, as talked about here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?p=1144565&posted=1#post1144565

That's by no means a deal-killer for me. Our '95 Camry was theoretically in the "prone" category and never had a problem even after 175k miles.

More info here:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/engine-sludge-1205/overview/index.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=sludge

Old 03-18-07, 05:05 PM
thanks

tow guy,
Thanks......I know the toyota are a bit pricey but they are worth it......My Tacoma has 150k on it......and I run that think hard.......especialy during hunting season......up and down washed out farm roads......it never complains.
Chris

Old 03-18-07, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
I was editing my post when you posted, Chris; be sure to reread.

Old 03-18-07, 05:15 PM
Ha

tow guy,
Not a problem......religiously drop and replace oil and filter every 3k.......on the dot......I'm crazy about that.
Chris

Old 03-21-07, 05:44 PM
I want to emphasize appropriate preventative maintance on 97-01 Camry 4cyl engine.

The car is very nicely designed and is a good performer. But if you don't take care of the engine and it craters on you, it's one of the more expensive gasoline FWD engines auto recyclers sell. $1100-$1500 depending on your region.

But it also shows that Camry owners really like their cars and will repair them since I'm nearly always out of stock on that engine.

Do your due dilligence about checking that car out. If it passes both the CARFAX investigation and inspection by *your* qualified mechanic, you'll be very happy with the Camry.

Old 04-07-07, 07:21 PM
I owned a 2000 and thought it was a great car. I totaled it with about 30K miles.

Old 04-12-07, 03:02 PM
good car

Toyotas are the best I have two a tacoma and a corrolla. I had a Camry but my ex wife snagged it.
That sounds like a good deal I would buy it. What trim level?

Old 04-20-07, 06:58 PM
I still have my 94 Camry. I've had it almost 8 years and it has been a great car. Still runs like the day I got it and I can still barely hear the engine at a stoplight (V6). Gotta love Toyota - nothing beats them!