HELP....daughter and new car purchase!

Old 05-03-07, 06:13 AM
Angry HELP....daughter and new car purchase!

My daughter (23) bought a jeep wrangler 4-door (new one) from a dealership on Sunday.....

background:....she called us saturday from the dealership accross town we have bought 2 jeeps from already, and with her Dad on the phone, and her uncle who works for Mercdedes Benz, they came to a nice deal, trade value for her current but they didnt have the car in stock she wanted, so she left..........smart

now dumb....she went into another dealership by herself on Sunday....they had the car she wanted (all the bells and whistles of course, she is 23)....and she got it...and a lot more......she fianlly showed us her paperwork last night..(she is very stubborn/and claims to be independent....her 2 door wrangler was fine, and almost paid off)...........

She says that they told her 8K trade in....she owed 7, so good 1K down, and the claimed that from her uncle (benz guy) she got it 1% below invoice...they never showed her the invoice.......

questions are this: Can she "return" it?? (may be naive question)

On the paperwork they gave her 5800 fro her trade and charged her back the differnce (1200 to 7K to pay off, not the 8 they said)...typical cardealer tactic, but they lied to her everywhere except on paper....what can we do there??

On the paperwork again is a 330 charge for an alarm that was never told to her either....

she signed it all, she just didnt understand what she signed, and is very embarrased now.......she was excited, and got hosed..now I am pissed at these folks...just want to know if we have any options besides just going down there and making quite the big scene, which I will anyway

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-07, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
If the dealer lets her "return" it, it would be the story of the century. Live and learn; starting with never get excited/fall in love with anything that can't get excited/fall in love back. I don't see any options other than to suck it up and hope she doesn't make some of the same mistakes next time. FWIW, I would stay completely out of any personal/financial dealings of my adult children beyond the groundwork you tried to lay to get her a good deal the first time around.

Old 05-03-07, 06:53 PM
she is an adult

and that will be the dealers' stance.
I serously doubt that they will take the car back,and will just say that her trade in is gone..which it may well be...and the deal is done.
PLease let us know if you are succesful,it will be a first pretty much.

no consolation but many of us have seen our kids do these things and can only beat our heads against a wall.

Old 05-03-07, 08:31 PM
he was excited, and got hosed..now I am pissed at these folks...just want to know if we have any options besides just going down there and making quite the big scene, which I will anyway

-----------------------------------------------------------

why are you "pissed" at them ?

shes 23 , a adult , she should be making the deals on her own without uncles , mother and father involved

Old 05-04-07, 05:43 AM
Smile Adult

Has she already driven it off the lot and drove it home? If not, you might have a case. I made some STUPID mistakes when I was 23. Some very hard lessons to learn. They are out to sell cars and make money or they won't stay in bussiness. Long as you "qualify" they will sell you ANY car. The more expensive, the more comm. "THEY" make. Bet she won't be as quick next time on buying a new car. Good Luck, hope you got some good results.

Old 05-04-07, 04:02 PM
well it is resolved!!

they are cutting us a check for $2100..believe it or not....the price is fine, just the trade...we met with the new car mgr yesterday and what a typical car jerk....today called the platform president (good name to have handy FYI if you can find it)..told him, they pulled file and we talked to GM today...all resolved in 10 mins...he called a wholesale guy out of the blue and the guy said it was 9K....minus the recon for work needed...he came up with the 8000K value and said he would cut a check to us....so it did get finished, I was actuallt quite suprised that it was...Also, I know she is 23...she is also quite naive in many ways........she did everything correct, was ready to walk out until they told her one thing and did another..that would piss off any parent regardles of age, so we are mad at her for doing it as well, and now she has a huge payment she has to make on her own, and figure it all out..that is her lesson, not getting taken advantage of........thanks!

Old 05-04-07, 04:04 PM
Cool PS..I didnt make a scene either!

thanks DIY'ers

Old 05-04-07, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
OMG! A dealership with some good old-fashioned values! Someone there was at least smart enough to realize that p.o.'ing someone bad enough for them to bad-mouth the dealership all over town would have surely cost them more in lost sales than the amount they refunded.

[We all had visions of seeing you blowing a gasket at the dealership and the video showing up on youtube].

Old 05-04-07, 09:42 PM
actually the wife would have gone postal

lol.........good GM...did it right and that means a lot to us

Old 05-07-07, 07:44 AM
I know it wold cost a few bucks

but a small thank you ad in the local paper would be a great way to repay their honesty.
you could even put it as a 'Rave' in the Rants and Raves section of Craigslist.
It's a crummy section of their great site but the only one where discussions are allowed and thousands of peopel read it.
Just a thought.

and CONGRATS on the resolution.!