What's my car worth?

Old 05-16-07, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What's my car worth?

Hi all,

I'm thinking that it is time to let my 1999 volkswagen jetta go (older Mk 3 body style). I'm curious, however, with 115 thousand miles on it, a transmission that hiccups (the technical term) and some minor body flaws (scratches, dings, etc) what can I expect to get for it if I just post it up on Craig's list and sell it privately? I was thinking / hoping for about $4000 - is this fair?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-07, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check Kelly Blue Book on line.

Old 05-16-07, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ok, thanks - don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.

Old 05-17-07, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
You can also go to an on-line car sales site like autotrader.com and do a search for your specific year/make/model to see what other people are asking for a like item, taking into account the various levels of condition of the vehicles.

Also, the NADA guides are available on line. Kelly and NADA aren't always in agreement.

Old 05-26-07, 07:43 AM
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?ManufacturerId=50&YearId=1999&VehicleClass=UsedCar&VehicleId=NS8yOC8yMDA3fDYwODk%3d&PriceType=Private+Party&ModelId=307&Mileage=115000&SelectionHistory=6089%7c3550%7c08620%7c0%7c0%7c&Condition=Fair&QuizConditions=0

I did it on KBB for you and you are looking at around $4000

Old 05-28-07, 11:30 AM
Kelly will give you a price that a person can expect to sell on their own.
I personally feel that the NADA book gives a far more realistic estimate of value then Kelly. You also have to deduct for the wear, mileage and mechanical problems you are having with that car. Ask yourself if you had to buy your own car how much would you be willing to spend on it? How much is the transmission going to cost to fix? How much for the Body work?
Most sellers start off asking way to much for their car. Then they get discouraged and drop the price often 3 or 4 times. by that time the buyers smell blood in the water. What you get is low ball offers. I have been in and out of the Car bussiness for 15 years. Find the right price now a fair price and It will sell.

Old 07-19-07, 01:20 AM
Try to consult an expert's opinion, you can be more trustful this way.