Grandfather's Car Title Transfer HELP! NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Old 02-17-08, 05:55 PM
Grandfather's Car Title Transfer HELP! NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Hey! I am new to this but here is what is going on. I live in Ohio and my Grandfather who lives in North Carolina is 92 years old and he decided to give me his 1998 Toyota Corolla. He can't drive anymore and since he's probably not going to be around much longer he figured that I could make more use of it. I drove down there and put a new battery in it and whatnot and had him sell it to me for $50.00. We went to the bank and wrote out a bill of sale and had it notorized there in North Carolina. I took the bill of sale and the title back to Ohio and I have tried to get plates for the car. Here is where I ran into the problem. The title he gave me is an Illinois title. That title is not in his name. See, what happened was, he purchased this car to drive down to North Carolina when he moved down there with my aunt who recently passed away. He must not have ever gotten the title transfered over into his name. On the back of the title it is signed over to him, AND my grandfather just mailed me the bill of sale for the car that him and the other guy wrote when he sold it to him in 2006. This bill of sale has been notorized as well. I have been told what I need to do is first, get the title transfered over into my grandfathers name. Then once I do that, I already have a bill of sale and I can just have that new title transfered into my name. Then I can take it and go get plates for it. Now here comes my delima. Can I just take that Illinois title with the bill of sale to my grandfather to a title place, and get the title transfered into his name? Does he HAVE to be with me? My problem is he lives hundreds of miles away from me and he is 92 years old and can barely move and is going senile. It was a huge chore to get this all together in the first place and I can't drive all the way back down there just to pick him up and take him to a title place. I will gladly pay all the taxes and fees but I need to get this car transfered over because I am a college student and I need to get to class! Can I get an Illinois title transfered over in Ohio? How does this work? His last name and everything is the same as mine but I need some help on what to do! Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 11:53 AM
Wink

I had the same kind of problem. the easiest way to solve it is to have your grandad send the title to Ill. and apply for a title in his name. when it comes back, he can sign it over to you. if you get into bills of sale and wrong names, etc. it will cause more problems than it is worth.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 02-18-08 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire post.
Old 02-18-08, 05:09 PM
Would it be possible for just me to go ahead and send it to Illinois? Like I said he is 92 and if I mailed the title back to him (which I don't really want to do) he might lose it or just forget to send it altogether. Either way he would need alot of help in finding out where to send it and whatnot so it would probably just be like I am doing anyway?

Old 02-19-08, 07:09 AM
Before I went through all that mailing back and forth I would go to where you were going to buy the plates and ask them. They surely have a system in place to take care of these problems. Not like you are the only one with this problem. Try them before assuming anything. The process may be very quick through them as they do this sort of thing all the time.

Old 02-29-08, 01:05 PM
Thumbs up titles

ben has a point. check first and see what they say. all they can say is what you already know. Tennessee is very pickey about these things.