Question on repairs for 2001 S60 Volvo

Old 02-23-08, 02:57 PM
Question on repairs for 2001 S60 Volvo

Looking at buying an 01 Volvo S60. The dealer has done the brakes and motor mount and also said it will need a strut - or two and a sway bar within a year. he says it is not an immediate need, so he didn't do it before selling it.

The car has 65k miles on it.

Should it need these things already?

THis is a non turbo I5 and I THINK is a smart purchase. Pretty base model too, so it can't have a lot of electronic stuff go bad, no power seats, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 07:08 PM
I can understand strut replacements on a 7 year old vehicle.
The only problem sway bars usually develop are worn sway bar bushings. They are usually inexpensive to buy and easily replaced on most cars.
Auto zones web site lists sway bar kits for $35.00.

Old 02-23-08, 07:44 PM
You are right, they did say bushings. Actually I was allowed to see the actual repair and get ready for sale bill from when they bought it at auction. I couldn't remember excactly the 3 things they did not do.

I think I will have them do them before I take delivery, and pay their wholesale service price. THey do the work right there.

THanks!

They seem like nice cars and I hear Volvos go for hundreds of thousands of miles. I know the timing belt will have to be done at around 100k.

Old 02-23-08, 08:34 PM
Volvo's are nice cars. Repairs on them can be very costly if you need factory parts.
good luck

Old 03-11-08, 01:30 PM
Volvos "can" last but..............

Ya always have to be super diligent on maintanence and repairs. I owned 3 of them and did 95% of all the repair work that was needed...................if you rely mainly on dealers and independents..........get ready for the pork'in! To the regular man.........Volvos are like a "car mans hobby", otherwise plan on regular repair costs that can be pricey. They are great safe cars but require regular stroking and TLC.

Old 03-11-08, 02:33 PM
We ended up getting an 06 s60 instead. AND the extended warranty package. It has 50K miles on it.

Search this Thread