buying a scooter

Old 06-19-08, 10:55 AM
buying a scooter

we are considering buying a scooter for the family, for short trips around the area - gym, maybe some shopping, etc.
so far, my research shows that the best priced ones are from the internet. anyone has any experience or suggestions where to buy? we are not interested in any over $1100.
thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-08, 12:42 AM
Do you want new or old?

Old 06-20-08, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by thomasz View Post
Do you want new or old?
well, it depends. would be nice to have a honda, but i can buy a civic for a cost of a scooter. so, i'd say - if it's asian make, probably new or just slightly used. and we simply do not like looks of "classic" mopeds, like vespa. i grew on their look alikes everywhere, and they were laughstock, so it's embeded in me.

Old 06-20-08, 11:10 AM
Check with your state DMV and make sure whatever you decide on can be legally used on your roads. I've heard of people, where I'm from in NJ, buying little, cheap scooters; only to find they couldn't register or use them.

Old 06-20-08, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by barryds View Post
Check with your state DMV and make sure whatever you decide on can be legally used on your roads. I've heard of people, where I'm from in NJ, buying little, cheap scooters; only to find they couldn't register or use them.
thank you. am aware. most of sites i looked at so far, have it clearly posted if scooter is legal for regitration, even if it's legit for CA SMOG test.
so far, i've heard that most of them are made in China/Korea/places, with China holding about 50% of the market. Everyone says to be very careful with buying those, as manufacturers do not have good reputation on follow ups and customer service. warranties are miniscule, from 6 mths to a year. Company called Tank comes across the most, with "we care" on one hand and "never buy from them" on the other.
so i was hoping someone around had a scooter or two and could share.

Old 06-20-08, 04:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My state (Ohio) also requires a motorcycle license or an endorsement on the DL. Written and driving proficiency test required.

Old 06-20-08, 06:35 PM
If it's way too cheap.. don't bother looking at them.

It's true, a lot of them are made in China. Afaik, Baotian scooters are all over the world under different names. And yes, they can produce some good scooters, but some importers prefer to order their very cheap models. and they look and are assembled like crap.

If you want a good name in the scooter industry, look for the Taiwan made KYMCO scooters. They are quite ok, and much better in terms of quality compared to china-cheap ones.

Hope it helps.

Old 06-26-08, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by santawatt View Post
If you want a good name in the scooter industry, look for the Taiwan made KYMCO scooters. They are quite ok, and much better in terms of quality compared to china-cheap ones.

Hope it helps.
matter of fact it did help, thank you. yes, i came across those in my search. and i had good experiences so far with items made in taiwan, malaysia, indonesia, and syngapore.

ok, will put $$ together now and get one.

Old 07-10-08, 04:11 PM
Buying a scooter

Choosing a scooter depends on its purpose. you should try to choose one of the newer model which gives a good mileage and can be handled easily. It should have a powerful engine with higher engine life. It should have reasonable price...

Pathogen
Credit Card Debt