Restore and Sell?

Old 08-25-08, 08:12 AM
Restore and Sell?

I don't know what the market is like out there if I am planning to restore some old cars and sell them. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to share your thoughts and facts about really the possibility to restore old cars and sell them. Also I have no idea how to find out about bigger auctions and things, or where I should sell my cars.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 02:07 PM
Cool "old cars"

First, welcome to the forum.

Anytime you buy anything with the intention to re-sell, there exists the possibility of loosing money. That said, old vehicles(classics) are a moneymaker IF you do your homework and are able(proficient) to restore them. It is all about QUALITY! Do it right or don't do it.

Barrett Jackson Auctions have sold a lot of vehicles for vast sums but they are nearly perfect. I would start with whatever is popular in your area( old Chevys are a good start) and see what they are selling for. Trying to buy one reasonably is the key. Be prepared to spend! The price of "boy toys" has risen to outlandish proportions. $15K/$30K is not unusual for a good(not perfect)ride. Good luck! Let me know if you find any deals. I might be interested!!

Old 08-25-08, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and it's not as easy as the TV shows make it appear. Unless you are very proficient at restoring them and have the money to do it right - you probably won't turn a profit. But it can be a labor of love and you can have a good time restoring it and meeting all the different folks you'll run into during the process.

Old 09-02-08, 08:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs down

The probrem with old cars is that: They are old.

Basicaly it is REALLY hard to fixe them all, so basicaly you can sell them but they'll be damaged very fast and you'll have a lot of unsatisfied costumers

Old 09-06-08, 09:32 PM
Smile $$Money$$

if you're in it for the money, do a good job, make it look, sound and be perfect and spend your money wisely on the car while restoring it, you could well make 20k more depending on the car (make,year,model etc.)

Old 09-06-08, 09:53 PM
You HAVE to love what you are doing. If you are doing it just to make money. You have to do all, or 99% of the work your self. I have been building car for about 20 years. I just like to build them.

I have made a few bucks, but I am not going to retire anytime soon...lol Once you start building a car,you can't cut any corners.

Once you start doing that, the quality will start to drop. No one wants to buy a car that is not quit up to par.Or should I say. They may but it, but not for the money you have to have for it.

Restoring or building cars is a labor of love. Driving a car that you built with your own two hands, is a great feeling.
Good luck and enjoy.

Travis

Old 09-13-08, 06:31 AM
i have to say you guys all hit it right on the head, my brother has built a couple of street rods and you won't usually make money because of the time that it takes to do it right. but if you cut corners they won't pay for your ride.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-13-08, 09:40 AM
My oldest came home one day-" dad, we can get two wrecked
69 Mustangs for almost nothing"
I cut both backends off the cars & welded the good backend to the good front end - cut out all the bad panels & welded new panels in place. Primed the body--looked good.
Cut out the floor & welded new floor in place.
Every time I turned around-it was $1.00 for this screw--$20.00
for this decal, etc.
I'm looking for my kids---" you are doing a great job dad--keep
up the good work"
I sold their little project the next for a $1000.00 profit-less all my time............
I had enough trouble running a busines & keeping the 6 family cars alive & well--I did not need any more BS.................
So much for my restore.................................

Old 09-14-08, 07:13 AM
Thumbs up 1972 Triumph GT6 Mark3

Hey All,

Like the majority have indicated. You must have a personal reason for restoring a car. I have great memories in this car and I really do not expect to make any money on it but it's great to sport around town in it when it gets on the road.
Beer 4U2

Old 09-17-08, 04:20 PM
Triumph GT6 Leaf springs

Hi,
I have opened up the viewing area for the rear leaf springs. The top plate that hold the leafs together is split side to side down the leafs, do you think this is the way it's suppose to be or does it need a new top plate? How to proceed? Doesn't look like it just happened! before storing I mean!

Old 09-18-08, 01:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hey, thats cool.
you know i have it, and stript of the oldest and worst a thing? It was one motive, far more weight in the darkest night that spring leaf. Gone ashore on an indigo plantation, Mark and spring leaf repaired to the table. I am deceived in its spring leaf revolting and gratuitous sin, Sir John, what do you think that the squall!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-18-08 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Removed website