Opinions on a new vehicle?

Old 08-28-08, 04:25 PM

Recently,through a family death,I have come into some money approx. $30,000.00.Although this is recent and I feel a bit reluctant to run right out and spend it,circumstances are forcing the issue.The car I currently drive has some serious problems and is not worth the investment of repairs.

I've decided for a variety of reasons that a smaller or compact SUV type vehicle is the best choice for me.

I'm leaning toward the Subaru Forester (2009) and will be buying new.

I'm just looking for opinions.All the reviews of this vehicle are extremely favorable.I will be trying to get in a test drive soon.

Does anyone have any experience with one?I'd be interested in opinions of other similar vehicles if anyone feels motivated to give one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-08, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Yer probably spot on. I liked them back in '01, but my wife thought they were too car-like. I think there is a review in the latest Car and Driver...mostly favorable.

Not the best on gas, but reliable and well designed.

My only problem (after being burned twice) is the first year of a model makeover. You'll be the guinea pig for the people buying next year.

The Escape Hybrid also is getting good reviews, but I hate the looks of it.

btw..in 2001 we wound up with a new Tribute...jeez...drove great..but 2 transmissions and sooo many visits to the dealer later...never another brand new model for me.

Old 08-28-08, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Just a random thought, but why not pick up a good low mileage used one and put about 10 grand in your pocket that the original owner gave away as depreciation?

Old 08-29-08, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
My old man works at a Subaru dealer. Other than not great mpg, the only complaint with this vehicle is it's ugly.

I agree with Tow Guy - I just can't buy new and eat all that depreciation.

Old 08-29-08, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Since you asked for opinions on similar cars too, I just got an 08 Chevy Equinox and I really like it. The MPG is the same, mine's got AWD, remote start and a sunroof (which I really love It has a lot of similarities to the Forester, but it looks a lot nicer!
I know TowGuy's down on leasing , but I lease cuz it works for me. I never put any money down, there's no depreciation, and I get a new car every 3 or 4 years.

Old 08-29-08, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Foresters aren't ugly..they're functional...lol. Yer either a Subie person, or yer not.

Ask yourself...

Do you wear Birkenstock shoes?

Do you take your own canvass bag to carry groceries home?

Are you a composter?

LOL

Seriously though, just looked back at the review of the XT Limited (Turbo motor)....mmmmmm can I have one?

Old 08-29-08, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
There's actually a lot of depreciation involved in leasing because the financing company has to make sure you pay them more than the vehicle depreciates while you have it in order to make money.

I believe in paying cash for cars, there is too much depreciation involved for me to consider financing of any kind, be it loan or lease.

Old 08-29-08, 05:22 PM

If you do not have a big ego to feed, buy a 1 or 2 year old car without a lot of miles. Avoid the all-out macho rock climbers unless you can find out they are are not abused.

I bought a 3 year old Jimmy LST in 2002 with 23,000 mles on it. It has been like a new car with over 130,000 miles now, despite only 7000 miles per year the past 2 years.

Granted, it is not a great economy car and there are better mileage units available now. I only get 23 on a freeway trip and only 17 around town in stop and go, but the reliability is worth something.

I would like a different car now, but it hard to walk away from the bullet-proof car with all the options and the leather that I must have. If I were to buy a car now, I would look at a fully equipped one year old (2.5l or 3.5l) Nissan Maxima or Altima or a Toyota Camry since I have learned I do not need or use 4WD in Minnesota. If necessary, I have the ability to use my wife's 4WD Blazer for the one day a year I might be willing to lose a day or two very good handling and comfort every year.

Your very rarely need the 4WD and the cost and dangers of it for every day.

Dick

Old 08-29-08, 05:43 PM
Really appreciate the feedback folks! Would have responded sooner but the internet boogy man knocked Comcast's connection out for a day.

Yeah the XT Turbo is what I'm thinking about and am looking forward to the test drive.I'm not sure why...whether it's so popular or so rare...but until recently there were only two in the state.I see more in the inventories online now.

I decided to go new versus used for two reasons.One is it is a new version and though I do get the possible buggy element of a new model I'm not too worried about it here.Also,and this is just me but I'm looking for maximum lifespan in my hands so new is newer than used lol and that means all the miles and time are mine.

And plus I have never actually owner a new car in my life.At 48 it's about time.

I'd love to go domestic and even though they have improved it's still just not there.And with the trouble US companies are having I'd always feel like they might be cutting corners.

Anyway if you folks want to continue this thread I know I'm always open for more opinions and viewpoints.When I do get to the test drive I'll post back how it went.

Thanks again!

David

Old 09-18-08, 01:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
oh man the xt turbo , you know it has * Tinted rear door windows and rear window
* Integrated bed liner
* Dual-illumination bed light
* Four bed tie-down hooks
* Bed recesses to receive standard 2x4's — to allow, for example, the owner to construct bi-level storage or install a custom bike rack.
* Standard roof rails with cross bars for additional load capacity.
* Two distinctive stainless steel flying buttresses [1] behind the passenger compartment, marketed as Sports Bars, provided structural reinforcement for the open bed.
* Tow rating of 2400 lb (1089 kg).
* Rear seat center position rigid hinged storage compartment with integral twin cupholders, rear-seat power supply, rear-seat center storage net, map-pockets at rear of each front seat.
* Under-bed mounted spare tire, operable via a cable winch accessible from an access panel in the bed itself.
* Fold-up license plate holder.

damn, you have a great dream car , i am just happy with a affordable toyota.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-18-08 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Removed website
Old 09-19-08, 06:40 PM
go for it !!!!

Beer 4U2 I was going to say don't by a new car but at 48 you might as well treat yourself to one what ever you decide on !!! You only live once !! After this new one you can go back to being practical and only buy used.

Old 09-20-08, 04:00 AM
Group Moderator
The economy and business being what they are right now, personally I would not be tieing up $30,000 of liquid assets in a vehicle, but that's just me.

Old 09-20-08, 01:17 PM
Ordinarily I'd agree with the money side of the argument but I got a fairly nice inheritance and I plan to keep the next vehicle for a minimum of ten years so new makes more sense to me for now.Used is fine but it's also time and miles that aren't mine and maybe history I'm not sure of even from the best sources.

I had a friend bought a two year old car from a reputable dealership and it turned out the previous owner had never changed the oil or did any maintenance in 30 thousand miles.Car was trouble within a year and from that point on was a problem so you just never know.

Anyway I should get a decent deal with the dealers business down.And yeah I've never owned an actual new car so here's my moment in the sun lol.

Old 10-02-08, 05:50 PM
It`s your money but you did ask. I thought about a new $35,000 truck but just couldn`t bite the bullet. Then I found a three bedroom house in need of repair. I bought the house for $23,000.00 and I have less than $50,000 in the house today. I am providing the house for a reason rate of $750.00 a month and getting a good return on my investment. Most cars will lose 12% to 25% of their value in the firsy year. We all need good, dependable cars but just keep in mind the money it costs to smell the paint burning.

Old 10-09-08, 10:26 PM
Highlander

My wife has a Toyota Highlander it is a rock solid smaller SUV worth looking at.
Lots of nice features even in the base model like I have.