Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How old is too old for a used car purchase?

NJ

01-25-10, 06:15 PM   #1  
How old is too old for a used car purchase?

I am in the market for a used low mile and low priced pickup. I found online a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with 42,900 miles and a price of $13,900. This seems like a great price for an Avalanche with the miles but the year is what worries me. Should I be worried and is the price where it is becuase of the price?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

AR

01-25-10, 07:14 PM   #2  
$$$$

You can check Kellybluebook.com or Edmunds.com for price info on your used truck.

Group Moderator

MN

01-25-10, 07:14 PM   #3  
Sounds like a great deal but go to Kelly blue book online and check the value. I punched the limited info you gave and came close to the asking price.

I see no reason that the year should worry you. Cars and trucks are much better made then years past. It has all the modern safety features. There is no reason this truck shouldn't lat you past 150,000 miles. My boss has the same truck and it is very nice. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the same motor and can say it is a good one.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

PA

01-25-10, 07:23 PM   #4  
I was given some advice from a friend who is a bigwig over at Enterprise rental car/ used car division....

Anything under 10k is NOT worth it. Anything in the teens is usually OK and a great deal. Now, 10k is a relative number to this time frame, AND economy...

But that avalanche seems good to go. Especially with the miles.

IN

01-25-10, 07:31 PM   #5  
A 2002 vehicle isn't really that old. The price is higher like that because it has half the anticipated miles of an eight year old truck. But for that price it still better be a 4x4.

For that kind of money you've got plenty of options.

You've heard of kelly blue book right?

Search this Thread