Used Car Dealer Fails To Make Final Payment For My Car

Old 02-10-10, 01:04 PM
Used Car Dealer Fails To Make Final Payment For My Car

I am trying to sell my '01 Pathfinder. I got a good offer of $ 5K from Carmax, but opted to sell to a used car dealer for $ 5800. I kept the Title and a $ 1K deposit. He took the car, returned the tags and put on dealer tags. He had trouble paying me the remaining $ 4800. At one point he gave me a check, which bounced. Three weeks have passed. He just doesn't have the cash. Now he's giving me my car back, forfeiting his deposit.

What are my options at this point? Do I have to reregister the car, paying for tags and 6% taxes? If so, that could eat up most of my deposit. I may end up getting a lower offer from Carmax because of the additional 500 miles the dealer put on the car running it back and forth to auctions. If I sell to a different dealer, as opposed to Carmax or an individual, will I have to put new tags etc on the car? To tell you the truth, I'm at wits end and don't want to have to tolerate any more dealers. Should I offer my current "buyer" a sweetheart deal of $ 3800 so that I get almost as much as I would have gotten from Carmax and avoid dealing with trips to the MVA/ appraisals etc?

Help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-10, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
You kept the title? Well why would you have to pay taxes again...you just have to pay the registration fees since it was never listed as sold.

500 miles shouldn't make that much diff unless its all messed up now...they just know you came back and need to get rid of it.

Lemme see..yer keeping his $1000 and I'll assume maybe carmax is offering $4000 now? Well, yer back where you started.

What did you do with the old tags? Can't you get 30 day tags just for transport? Most places have that I think...

Old 02-10-10, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the pointers!! The dealer-buyer returned my tags so that I could stop paying insurance on the car. Does that change your answer about the car not being listed as "sold?"

I will definitely check with the MVA about temporary tags. I'm not sure that Carmax will accept that.

Old 02-10-10, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Nope...nothing changes...

I could have 10 cars titled in my name..and not pay insurance..but that doesn't affect title...

Unless it was re-registered..(and I can't see how it would have been) then you should be able to just go get new plates of whatever type. Carmax doesn't care about plates or registration...just title.

Gotta remember..dealers will just slap dealer plates on ..and whos gonna question them. I don't think they have to even be registered to the actual vehicle.

Old 02-11-10, 03:22 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Maryland no longer provides temporary, transport tags. Hopefully, all I have to do is reregister in my own name and not do everything I would have to do for a new purchase (e.g., taxes and inspection).

Old 02-11-10, 07:04 AM
When the dealer gave you the tags back, did you turn them back in to the DMV or just hang on to them until the vehicle was sold? If you just hung on to them, you should be able to slap your old tags back on the car, renew your insurance policy, and be good to go.

Old 02-16-10, 10:57 AM
Carmax is not going to consider 500 miles enough difference to lower the offer they gave you.If they do lower it make sure you tell them about the previous offer.