Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

us or foreign minivans

WA

04-22-10, 06:00 PM   #1  
us or foreign minivans

I own a 96 Yukon XL with 154k miles, and am looking at purchasing a used van between a 96-07. I need something that will get a minimum of 20mph. I like to camp and would prefer 4wd, if not, awd is necessary. I drive anywhere from 100 to 500+ a week. I can perform most maintenance and need a car maker with a good track record. I know this is the best place to get advice. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

04-23-10, 11:55 AM   #2  
Not a lot of experience but my wife and I bought 2007 Honda Odyssey a few years ago and I have to admit it's pretty nice. I don't gas it up a lot but I've averaged about 24 mpg combined the few times I did. Not AWD, though.

WA

04-24-10, 12:50 AM   #3  
thanks for the info mitch17.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-24-10, 03:30 PM   #4  
Here:

Gas Mileage of 1996 Vans

Maybe you can find other data on the main page by search engine: "Best van gas mileage", the way I did. More modern vehicles will get better. I'm sure your thinking is you have to buy an old one to be able to afford it. Well, if you buy it from a used car lot, it might cost you $2 -3000 more than one you could find from a private party.

Let me give you an example: Yesterday, I see this van with 160,000 in the lot that says "Bad credit okay". "No credit check". "We finance". They wanted about $5800 for this thing. I think it was a vehicle from 1998 -2002.

My new car I just gave $850 for it. It looks almost new. Plus, it has neat colors and is stylish. Next to me at the grocery store was this bulbous used car with sticker still in window that said like $3800, and had rust and had bublous look to it. I said to myself that I'd rather pick MY car.

You can find deals from people who are desperate, simply want to unload it fast without dealing with lots of callers, afraid to charge too much, or do not know prices well. Honest Johns used car lots don't seem to be desperate enough.

My dad sold his really nice looking, sporty, fine running, no rust, stylish car, for $1250. Yet in the papers and car flyers are the same vintage cars being sold at lots for $2800-$3500 for same cars, and several had higher mileage. His even still had that new car smell!

WA

04-24-10, 06:59 PM   #5  
I saw a 07 caravan for 10k, so I understand I will need to keep my eyes open. I appreciate that info. I would like to hear pros and cons us vs foreign minivans. Thanks )

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

NY

04-29-10, 10:15 PM   #6  
Posted By: mitch17 Not a lot of experience but my wife and I bought 2007 Honda Odyssey a few years ago and I have to admit it's pretty nice. I don't gas it up a lot but I've averaged about 24 mpg combined the few times I did. Not AWD, though.
Does anyone know how this Honda compares to the Toyota Sienna?

Group Moderator

FL

04-30-10, 04:51 AM   #7  
Generally the Sienna and the Odyssey are mentioned in the same breath when talking about quality and reliability. They're both very good vehicles.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

IA

04-30-10, 09:28 AM   #8  
I believe the Sienna is available with AWD, but it may be hard to find one. The ground clearance won't be as good as an SUV, but if you're not going offroad maybe it doesn't matter. Check the April issue of Consumer Reports to get an idea of what problems you may face with any minivan. They survey their readers annually to assess vehicle quality and learn what problems crop up in vehicles. Good luck

Search this Thread