Frame or Uni Body SUV?

Old 08-12-10, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Frame or Uni Body SUV?

I am looking for a SUV for use mostly in the mountains and back roads of Costa Rica. 75% of it's miles will be on extremely rough rocky roads. Which is better for withstanding some real abuse a frame or unibody vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-10, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
FRAME FRAME FRAME....oops...I meant FRAME! FRAME! FRAME!....lol

I think you need to look at a Toyota Landcruiser (if they are still full frame) or A Land Rover if no money issues. Does Jeep still make an framed SUV?

Old 08-12-10, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The jeep wrangler still has a full frame.

Old 08-12-10, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Hyundai Galloper are pretty common down there with about 3/4 being diesel. Mitsubishi Montero are also popular. Up in the hills I mostly see the older models with a frame while the newer unibody ones are more popular in the cities. I did not know if it was because there was more money for newer vehicles in the cities or if the older frame vehicles just hold up better to severe abuse.

Old 08-12-10, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
I always looked at it as....almost any good welder can fix a problem with a framed vehicle...heck even I did once...but it takes special stuff to work on unibody.

Old 08-18-10, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
My folks were just down there and they found a vehicle. It's a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder in great shape. A friend down there drove it for two weeks and was his #2 pick until he found a cherry Hyundai Galloper and chose it instead. The Pathfinder is a V6, 5 speed with hi/low 4WD and it already has a cow catcher. Yes, sometimes useful to have since this will be used quite a bit in cattle country and cows in the road are very common. Now the lawyer is doing the legal stuff to make sure the car is clean, not stolen and has no liens or fines against it. FYI: in Costa Rica traffic violations go against the vehicle not the driver so you have to make sure there are no unpaid fines when buying a vehicle.

Old 08-19-10, 06:49 PM
frame

Gonna get out before the Osama taxes kick in?

Old 04-22-11, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Well, the Pathfinder has survived it's first Rieve which is the annual Costa Rican vehicle inspection. If you are ever annoyed with the US vehicle inspections... HA! You want an inspection take your car to Costa Rica.

The inspection is done on a 200 foot long assembly line. There are the usual tests for lights and horn and that's where the similarity to a US inspection ends. The vehicle is emission tested at idle and 2'500 rpm., The headlight alignment is tested and adjusted. All, and I mean all lights and accessories are tested. If your car has power windows, they must work. The condition of the wiper blades, do the door locks work, do the seat belts work, do all the idiot lights on the dash work. Then the car is pulled to a station where each wheel is shaken by the computer to check the functioning of the suspension. Then there is a dyno (sorta) that tests the actual effectiveness of the brakes at each wheel. A sample of the engine oil is analyzed. Then the car is pulled over a pit where they look for any leaking fluids and bake pads.

The test is performed by a company that only does the testing. They do not perform any repairs so if your car fails for any reason you have to go somewhere else, fix the failed items, pay for another inspection and go through the entire test again.

The video is in Spanish but about half way through they start to show some of the testing they do on your vehicle. It's all very high tech, computerized and analytical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jLle2EM7xA&feature=player_embedded