Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Demonstrating clear title

CAL

01-06-11, 08:11 AM   #1  
Demonstrating clear title

I am assisting friend with sale of backhoe to Australian buyer who is shipping the machine. What is the commonly accepted/required documentation to establish clear title to the machine? All I have is a Bill of Sale for the original owner. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-12-11, 04:46 AM   #2  
I would think on a tractor, since there is no licensing required, a Bill of Sale would suffice. Did the original owner buy it from a dealer? How old is the machine? You would retain the Bill of Sale you have from the previous owner, and issue a new one showing you as the seller and him as the buyer. If there was no title to begin with, there won't be one magically show up at any time. I should think, being from another country, the buyer would be able to give you exactly what he needs for importing it to their country. I would have the Bill of Sale notarized, and copy the original BOS for his purposes.

Group Moderator

FL

01-12-11, 06:55 AM   #3  
And of course you'd want to make sure it's not a scam buyer.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

GA

03-11-11, 04:10 AM   #4  
I know it's two months down the road, but we had a guy list a Kubota tractor w/ front end loader and backhoe for $5k. I knew it had to be a scam to sell a $40k tractor that low. Just for fun I traced all the information, and even emailed him. He was advertising here locally, but the tractor was in Wisconsin. OK, cool. Couldn't possibly look at it, right? Our newspaper is owned by a conglomerate, so there are "local" papers in each town. I went on line to each site, and he had it listed there, too. One time the tractor was in Albany, GA, another one it was in Illinois. He wanted a deposit to buy the tractor. Of course you could kiss the deposit goodbye.
Interesting about buying stuff that is "too good to be true".
I hope the OP got his deal through without a hitch.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-11-11, 05:03 AM   #5  
So if I put my tractor up for sale, but only in far away newspapers, after I sold it so many times - I could afford a new 4x4 tractor ?? :NO NO NO:

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

GA

03-12-11, 05:58 AM   #6  
AND, you would still have the original, if there was really ever one to begin with. Madoff would have been proud.

CAL

03-17-11, 11:16 AM   #7  
The deal was done successfully. I obtained dealer invoice and original equipment list from factory, bills of sale from Owner 1 and Owner 2. We used an escrow agent to coordinate the exchange of funds for tractor. It arrived in Fremantle, AU yesterday.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-18-11 at 05:55 AM.

Group Moderator

FL

03-18-11, 05:56 AM   #8  
Sorry, Jerry, had to remove that negative comment about a business.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

CAL

03-18-11, 08:21 AM   #9  
No worries, I appreciate the help!

Search this Thread