Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lost Title

WA

03-15-11, 09:26 PM   #1  
Lost Title

My ex-brother-in-law refused to get a duplicate title when he was told I had lost the title he signed over to me. He has now gone to the vehicle department and told them, he sold the vehicle but didn't know the person's information. They pulled the license plates and tags from the vehicle, via computer, so I am know driving a vehicle without plates per the computer.

I am living in a different state than where it was registered. I was told the only way to get a duplicate title was to have the seller request it. He refused.

Registered in Arizona, living in Washington.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-16-11, 04:29 AM   #2  
Is there a reason you didn't have the title put in your name when you purchased the vehicle?
I assume the registration is in his name ??

You might try contacting the tag office that pulled the tags, since they know the vehicle's been sold, they might help you get it straighten out.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

03-16-11, 08:03 PM   #3  
The title was signed over to me, but I losted it before I could get it transferred.

Group Moderator

FL

03-17-11, 05:46 AM   #4  
I don't think there's any way out of it beyond offering $ to the ex-BIL to get a dupe. Jerk that he appears to be, he's liable to hold out for a lot of $$$. You didn't say year/make/model; it's worth something?

Don't drive it; don't know about your neck of the woods, but it'll get you a ride to the graybar motel down here; it's an unregistered vehicle. In the process, the vehicle will get impounded and you won't get it back from the towing company since you will be unable to show proof of ownership. The notice of impoundment would go to the last person officially recorded as the owner/registrant. Not only that, but it's not legally yours, strictly speaking.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

WA

03-18-11, 08:03 AM   #5  
96 Yukon, my only means of transportation. Thanks for the low down.

Search this Thread