Has anyone used Ebay for selling a car?

Old 08-11-11, 08:52 PM
Has anyone used Ebay for selling a car?

I'm considering selling my 2005 honda civic on ebay, i was wondering if anyone has any prior experience doing this.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-11, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I've sold everything BUT a vehicle on Ebay. I have bought two off there, though. Very satisfied with my Cummins, but less stellar Volvo. Really gotta question things, and don't buy unless you can see the car in person.....my mistake. Paid for and move on.
The selling procedure is pretty straight forward on Ebay. Fill in the blank, give a good honest evaluation of the vehicle, and take pictures (at least 10).

Old 08-13-11, 05:28 PM
As long as your painfully honest about everything that is wrong with the car, you should have not problem, especially with a reliable car like yours. Bought 2 sold 1. The one I sold I didn't take a picture of a scratch that was not noticeable, well not noticeable to me, and I got flamed for it. Since your rep is all you have on EBAY be careful not to piss someone off.

Old 08-15-11, 09:31 AM
It can be iffy buying a car on ebay, If its insured you are generally good, I got a 2005 328 beamer last year which runs great from ebay for my wife.

Old 08-15-11, 01:34 PM
Unless your car is unique or rare, Ebay will only get you a wholesale price. A plain Civic would do better on CL or a local ad.

Old 08-16-11, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
I would recommmend Craig's List as well or possibly autotrader.

Old 08-23-11, 04:27 PM
My neighbor used autotrader and had great results, he got a 09 accord for a little less than the bluebook and it runs great.

Old 09-06-11, 06:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've sold a couple cars on ebay. Some I've had to list twice to get them to go, but generally i've had pretty good luck. On CL everyone tries to lowball you to death

Old 05-11-12, 06:12 PM
selling a car online

what is the best site to sell a car online.....craigslist...ebay...ect.ect.. thanks

Old 05-12-12, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure there is a "best". I've used Craig's List and Auto Trader. The Craig's list is free and will generate inquiries, but be prepared for people trying to bottom fish. The other down side to Craigs List is its chronological listing; within a couple of days the listing is hundreds of entries down the page and the search function is a bit too generalized for my likes in searching for a vehicle. Having said that, if/when I have a vehicle to sell I still put it on Craig's List in addition to either Auto Trader and/or a local classified.

Old 07-14-12, 07:51 AM
I still haven't sold it yet, I tried ebay and you guys were right. I think I'll try an ad paper next.

Old 07-14-12, 08:34 AM
Man, it's been almost a YEAR and you STILL haven't sold it? Something must be wrong here. I must have sold half a dozen cars on Ebay since then, including a Civic. Civics are popular cars so they should be easy to sell. What are you asking? What are the miles? What is the condition? Need more details.

Old 07-17-12, 12:17 AM
Try joining a car specific forum. They usually have a classified section.

Old 09-06-12, 02:37 PM
Buying things online is generally more risky. Make sure you check out the car in person before purchasing. I would recommend craigslist as mentioned above.