1989 Parker. 1st boat questions

Old 07-22-13, 08:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1989 Parker. 1st boat questions

I have been thinking about getting a boat. I do not know anything about boats so I am trying to self educate to have a better idea about what I should look for. I recently found a 1989 Parker 2310 but can't seem to find much info about it. Would anyone be willing to check out the link and give mr their thoughts on price/value? Also what questions should I be asking about the motor?

Parker 2310 Deep V Walkaround

I fi decide to look at it, I will bring a boat mechanic, but wanted to have some idea of what I am talking about.
Cheers!

Old 07-23-13, 09:14 PM
T
Bring a retired boat mechanic. An active one may be happy to advise the purchase if you'll end up their unwitting customer.

In your shoes I'd probably start with something smaller, and something that I felt confident I could work on.

I'd also probably rent extensively before deciding to buy. That's a lot of money to commit to if you don't know if you're going to use it enough.

Old 07-24-13, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What TWX said. Remember "a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money". Does it have a trailer? Do you have the ability to pull such a heavy trailer? Will it be docked permanently? What are the costs of storing it in the off season?

Old 07-24-13, 04:36 AM
B
Thanks for the advice!
Chandler..it does have a trailer that needs tires and I have a truck to pull it. I would probably trailer for the rest of this season and dock next year. Looking at about $100 per foot. The reason I am looking at this boat is because it fits both the fishing style for me and comfort as a family boat, 2 kids and2 adults.

Old 07-24-13, 05:16 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Although I'm not finiliar with the boat market there, and never looked into that style of boat, if it was local, it would be a bit on the expensive side.

One thing to consider is what type of water you are planning to use that on. That looks to be a big water type boat. If you are planning on using it on smaller lakes and rivers, it won't be a good choice. It also won't be an ideal boat for water skiing or similar.
Fishing lead core line or down riggers (deeper water) it would be a good choice.

The motor however is nice. The yamaha 2-strokes are solid motors and will last forever. Fuel mileage isn't that of a 4-stroke, but is pretty good.

If you are not playing on big water (great lakes, or ocean), I'd probably say look into a used bass boat style boat. They will be lighter to haul, decent for towing skiers (tubs, wakeboards, etc) and still make a good fishing boat. They will however rock a bit more in rough water when doing lead core line fishing.

Old 07-24-13, 06:15 AM
B
Good points mike. I do feel that the boat is underpowered. Most use will be bay fishing and trips to fire island.
Cheers!

Old 07-24-13, 06:30 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Been on Bucnet.com yet to check the value?
It's the blue book in the boating world.
Not sure what's in your area, but near here we have places where you can pay a yearly fee and can use any boat they have.
The fee includes everything except the fuel you use while you have it.
Since your new it may be a way to get you on the water with less commitment till you see what boat style and size works for you and to make sure your family enjoys it as much as you do.
All it takes is one member that gets sea sick or has a fear of the water to put a damper on things.
Parkers are a well made boat, and that's great motor.
I do disagree somewhat with it's to big.
I've seen way to many times where people first time buy to small a boat.
If it's to small it will limit where you can go with it, and will get crowded real quick when your kids bring some friends on board.

Old 07-24-13, 06:47 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Good points mike. I do feel that the boat is underpowered. Most use will be bay fishing and trips to fire island.
Cheers!
Ya, those boats won't be fast. It is a really heavy boat.
I'd almost question the 38MPH speed at 4000RPM. I said almost as again, I don't have a ton of experience with that style boat.
Been on Bucnet.com yet to check the value?
It's the blue book in the boating world.
Not sure what's in your area, but near here we have places where you can pay a yearly fee and can use any boat they have.
The fee includes everything except the fuel you use while you have it.
Since your new it may be a way to get you on the water with less commitment till you see what boat style and size works for you and to make sure your family enjoys it as much as you do.
All it takes is one member that gets sea sick or has a fear of the water to put a damper on things.
We generally have the similar arrangements with lodges in the various areas. If a large scale rental place isn't available in NY, local resorts or lodges would be the next place to consider renting from. Selection won't be huge however.

Old 07-24-13, 11:58 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I used to have a center console off shore boat. It was smaller, but, like you I liked the boat layout, as I could fish fore and aft, and fitted it with 24v. foot controlled trolling motor. Very stable in the worst water.

Old 07-29-13, 12:19 PM
D
I am throwing this out just so anyone does not know will know
You are better taking that boat out and running it up and down the water a while and see if any problem is there
Take all the info off of the motor and run it thru a few boat places to see if it has been in for repeat problems .This may not work if there are a boat mechs in the area
I have a boat that has long as you rev it with the water ears on or back it off in the water and rev it still on the trailer you would not think there was one iota of a problem.
It has the #2 cylinder blown yet idles and runs low rpm like it is brand new
The other reason is see if the boat is a fit for you does it chine walk at top speed does it get all squirrely at high speed and all the people in it
Test a boat with what you would normally have weight wise, let it set for a while in the water and then see if it will start back up. After it is back on the trailer pull all the drain plugs and look for leaks
Before paying make sure you get a title some states will not transfer title without it . The state of Texas will not accept a bill of sale and if from out of state you have to have the last registration numbers. Confirm with your state what you have to have to get it in your name

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: