Seats Recommendation

Old 02-02-14, 05:28 PM
Seats Recommendation

Seats Recommendation-

I own a 1992 Buick Century Station Wagon that has front split seats. The seats are fabric covered, wide and feel like they have conventional springs and are very comfortable. I am having difficulty finding comfortable front seats in most new cars. They feel somewhat hard and I usually feel some sort of hump in the middle.
I am in the market for a sedan or station wagon (not a crossover SUV). Is there a 2014 vehicle that you could recommend that would have comfortable front seats?

Thanks,
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-14, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
That is totally up to personal preference. I would just start sitting in cars until you find one with seats that fit you well.

Old 02-03-14, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your return. I realize seats are a personal thing. I thought maybe someone who might know how an old Buick seat would feel might have an idea of what to recommend. I figured I would have to shop around, but that can be an inconvenience. But, I guess that's what I need to do.

Jerry

Old 02-03-14, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
I remember a Car Talk show...a big guy called in to update them. Turned out the car he finally decided on was a chick car. VW bug. Said it had nice wide supportive seats. May have changed of course...that was a few years ago.

Old 02-03-14, 02:14 PM
Vic –

Who would have guessed a VW Bug. I’m from Indy and they had an auto show a short time ago that I attended. My first interest is in a station wagon (the old style). I made it a point to sit in every station wagon to test the seats. And what I found out is all seats were “supportive” as you said. And, for my comfort that is where the problem is.

To my feel the seats were hard and had a hump in the middle, but they were supportive. On the other hand, the old Buick seats sat similar to what you would experience in your spring loaded comfortable chair at home.

The reason for my post was I was primarily interested in wagons and did not test sedans. However, as of now, if I can find a sedan with a good soft feel seat, I might change my mind to purchase a sedan. I thought maybe car manufacturers might pay more attention to seat comfort
in sedans versus wagons.

Jerry

Old 02-03-14, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
A '92 Buick Century makes me think of a poofy sofa of a bench seat. Bench front seats have all but disappeared due to modern safety requirements. Seats are now designed to hold you in a more specific position so you're not injured by the airbags and so they can better protect you.

What's your budget? Is there a size category you'd like?

Sporty cars and trim levels tend to have firmer seats and more pronounced side bolsters and center bump. Great for holding you in place when pretending to be a race car driver but not so good if you are large or for on long road trips. So, I'd avoid anything sporty.

I think bigger open road touring cars have wider more cushy seats more appropriate for long road trips and for people of varying sizes. If you budget will allow I would consider any premium luxury vehicle like a Lexus GS & LS, Toyota Avalon, or something of similar size. I find BMW seats even in the 5 and 7 to be more firm and sporty so I would probably pass on them but the seats in the larger Volvo's while initially slightly firm they are not confining and comfortable on long trips. I find the seats in my Hyundai Genesis to be very comfortable and with plenty of adjustments to custom fit it to your taste.

Old 02-03-14, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...Like PD said...benches are pretty much gone...except in work trucks. Heck...even wagons are pretty much gone...except for some high end lux models and I believe Subaru?

One thing about the soft seats....some of that is due to the safety systems that have to sense when someone is in the seat. I think the newer ones even sense the weight of the person?

I know exactly what yer talking about. I remember my Dads company cars and my BILs big Buick he bought when he got successful.

Old 02-03-14, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Just go look at the Buick's again... This is the admirals next car when I win the lottery...

Actually starts at 23K.. I would rather own this then a Hyundai....

Buick Verano...

Old 02-03-14, 03:53 PM
Some interesting comments and feedback – even pictures. You all have given me good ideas to consider.

Thanks,
Jerry

Search this Thread