Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transferring Dirt Bike Title

VA

07-24-15, 01:33 PM   #1  
Transferring Dirt Bike Title

I purchased a 2007 Honda dirt bike earlier this year and seem to remember the seller not having a title. However, I asked again recently and he in fact does have the title, which he will be mailing me next week. He is the original owner and lives in Louisiana. Apparently he purchased the bike from a dealer in Texas, if that makes a difference. Although the title was signed over to him at the time of purchase, he never went to the DMV to have it officially transferred to him. That being said, will there be any issues with getting the title transferred to my name when I go to the DMV? The seller stated that I would simply have to pay a dual transfer fee, which is fine, but I want to be sure I don't run into any issues, particularly since he is out of state and I feel I have already burdened him with the transaction.

SORRY....this post should have been started in the Buying and Selling forum. Moderator, can you please move it?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-24-15, 01:46 PM   #2  
Moved thread as requested. Sorry, no ability to address your question.

VA

07-24-15, 04:16 PM   #3  
Guess I'll find out when I visit the DMV!

VA

07-30-15, 06:00 AM   #4  
General question about titling...when you purchase a new vehicle from a dealer, does the dealer print a new title in your name (if buyer pays the full amount of the sale), or do they sign the title over (by filling out the back) and require the buyer to go to the DMV to get a new title printed?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-30-15, 06:07 AM   #5  
Generally a dealer does all the paper work, get the tag/registration for you and the title gets mailed to your address.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

09-24-15, 01:09 PM   #6  
Okay, so here's the deal. The seller finally mailed me the title, but he is not listed as the owner on the front of the title. The dealer is. The dealer simply signed the title over to him (by filling out the back), but he never bothered taking it to the DMV to have it officially put in his name. I'm assuming he avoided doing so so he did not have to pay the vehicle sales and use tax, which saved him a few hundred dollars. Problem is, in order for him to sign the title over to me, he has to first transfer it to himself, which means he would have to pay the tax ($345) and title fee ($75). Then he could sign it over to me and I would go to the Virginia DMV, pay tax and title fee to have it transferred to my name. The kicker is, the seller refuses to pay the tax and title fee, so if I want the title, I have to fork out the $420. Although I would really like to have the title, I don't think I want it that bad. I would just assume he burns it. What would you guys suggest I do? The bike is off-road only and I never plan on plating it or registering it, so I suppose I don't really need the title, but at this point I have no way to prove I am the lawful owner if it were to ever get stolen. And if I can't prove ownership, can't my insurance company refuse to cover the loss?

Group Moderator

WI

09-24-15, 01:30 PM   #7  
I'm assuming the DMV told you they won't transfer the title to you as-is; that you have to get it transferred to the other guy first?

VA

09-24-15, 01:45 PM   #8  
I'm assuming the DMV told you they won't transfer the title to you as-is; that you have to get it transferred to the other guy first?
That is correct. The title isn't even technically in his name so there's no way they can transfer it to my name. I can't help but be a little peeved that he would avoid titling it to save a few hundred dollars then sell it to me seven years later and expect me to pay the tax that he should have paid initially, which by the way is calculated based on the original sales price, not the current market value.

Group Moderator

TX

09-24-15, 05:04 PM   #9  
You might "loose" the title and look into getting a bonded title. You basically state you don't know where the title or owner is. After three years in my state you can file for a clear title.

Your state may be different but here is the DMV info for my state: TXDMV.GOV - Bought a vehicle without a title?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

VA

09-25-15, 07:23 AM   #10  
I thought of that, but wouldn't they just look up the VIN and trace it back to the previous owner (in this case the dealer since the seller never officially titled it)?

I talked to my insurance agent and he confirmed that I would need the title to prove ownership if the bike were ever stolen. However, I would also need to purchase additional coverage specifically for the bike, which I don't want to do. That being said, I don't think it's worth pursuing the title. I better invest in some heavy duty chains!

VA

09-25-15, 04:03 PM   #11  
For anyone following along, what would you do if you just bought an offroad vehicle from someone that has the title but you'd have to pay at least $500 to get it put in your name? Bite the bullet and pay up or ask for the title and burn it? I don't feel comfortable knowing there's a title for my bike in someone else's possession with a bike dealer listed as the owner, but at the same time I'm finding it difficult to justify the expense. Then again, if the asking price were $400 more when I purchased the bike, I probably would have paid that. At the very least, I think I should ask for the title and either hold onto it or destroy it. Except once I do that, there's no chance of ever getting it titled, not that it needs to be.

Group Moderator

TX

09-25-15, 04:32 PM   #12  
Four words for you to consider: Has the check cleared?

He sold you property he did not have proof of legal ownership of. That is probably enough to void the sale and get your money back.

Opinion: I would not want the headache. I suspect if you file suit in small claims court he will be willing to give you your money back for return of the bike.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

VA

09-25-15, 07:48 PM   #13  
When I bought the bike in January, the seller specified as-is with no title. I understood that to mean a title did not exist. It was only recently that I learned that there is in fact a title. I'm assuming the seller specified no title because he didn't want to deal with the hassle or expense of getting it titled in his name as part of the sale. I can't say I blame him, but sucks for me. I love the bike and I would never even consider giving it back or taking him to court. He has been very accommodating through the entire transaction and went above and beyond what I expected. That being said, do you think it would be worth it to fork out $400 to get the title, then another couple hundred to have it transferred to my name? Even though i would like to have a title with my name on it to prove ownership, it really isn't necessary. The seller is willing to go to the DMV and do the transfer, but I would be responsible for the tax and title fee. He will not help with the cost. BTW, he actually mailed the title to me a few weeks ago and once I noticed it was not in his name--it was only signed over to him on the back--I mailed it back to him. Being that it was signed over to him and there is no lien, he was the lawful owner. SO, the question is whether to get the title back and destroy it or fork out another $500-$600 to have a title with my name on it.

Search this Thread