new car and towing

Old 12-12-19, 12:46 PM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
new car and towing

I'm considering the possibility of buying a new vehicle and am looking for opinions and comments. What I have now is a 2017 Chevy Travesty. It does a good job and has not given me any problems. BUT, I just don't like it. I'm in a position to be able to trade this in for something that I feel more comfortable with. I'm a Ford fan and am leaning towards that, but I also am considering a Jeep. But before I choose a vehicle, here's what my towing conditions are...

6 x 12 trailer... empty weight is 975#
payload capacity 2015#
GVWR 2990#

Load is a UTV with a shipping weight of 1571# and a GVWR of 3300#

Hauling this load is about 4 to 6 times a year with a round trip of approximately 100 miles.

I'm going to assume I might have an additional load of 700# on the trailer for misc. items.
I'm also going to assume I might have up to 4 car passengers that weight 200# each, giving me an additional 400# load.
So my addition tells me I need a towing package that can handle ~3100#

My first question is my math correct that any vehicle that can handle 3100# will be sufficient? But I would want to be able to go at least 4000#?

With the above in mind I think I must look at the Ford Explorer. It has a towing capacity of 5600#. Seems like overkill. And I assume my mileage will not be any better than the 15 to 20 mpg I'm getting now. Or maybe worse!

In the Jeep category I think I'm looking at the Cherokee series at a towing capacity of around 4000#.

Anybody have any comment for or against the Jeep? And as it might compare to the Ford?

If I decide I will look at both used and new possibilities.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-19, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
I think Jeep makes the best stock 4x4 but I've not been impressed with their quality.

Old 12-12-19, 03:57 PM
They had a bad rep for awhile. But lately they seem to be much better.

Old 12-12-19, 05:28 PM
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm201
My first question is my math correct that any vehicle that can handle 3100# will be sufficient? But I would want to be able to go at least 4000#?
Depends, not so much on load, as on terrain.

If you are towing on flat land, paved roads, on a trailer with brakes, you don't worry.
If you are towing up and down hills, on dirt roads and 2 lane tracks, or off-road, then, yeah, get something with the big hitch.

Given the increased cost of factory towing packages, you might check out "helper spring" kits.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-13-19, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Hal, that pic made me laugh

Old 12-13-19, 04:31 AM
Hal, Half the trip is in fact on hilly country roads. Only the approx 1/4 mile up the mountainside is dirt rd. The Chevy handles all of quite nicely.

Old 12-18-19, 06:53 AM
Yesterday I stop off at a Jeep dealer to have a look see. I made it clear to the sales person that I was not going buy a car but wanted basic info at this point in time. So after telling him my conditions he showed me a Cherokee model. That would be the class I'm interested in. I was very impressed with the car. The particular one he brought out was a limited edition. The only thing it lacked was the actual towing equipment attached to the car. He said it would be about $365 to add. I said if I was buying you would throw it in as free. He laughed and agreed. It was a 2020 model. I asked about a 2019 model and he said the price would be the same and a better deal could be had on the 2020 model. I told him when I'm ready to buy I would want the use of the car for a two day trial before deciding. He said one, I said we'll see.

So my next stop is to the Ford dealer to see what they would put me into. I think it' will be an Expedition model which I think is overkill for my situation.

Old 12-18-19, 07:38 PM
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
Hal, that pic made me laugh
Yep, "High Hopes", ants and rubber-tree- plants.

A tool passed down from my grandfather's small coal yard was the hated "railcar bar" or "snubber" a 6" long steel pry bar with a 45 degree angle at the nose. One man (my father or my uncles, depending on who drew the short straw) would move a fully loaded freight car along the freight siding and unload the care. It just took patience, sweat and time because you could only move a freight car about 1 inch at a time...

Same thing for towing - if you're not in a hurry, you can tow 100 tons with 2-mules using the late 1800s US canal system, or scoot a 100 ton freight car along the siding with just 1 person.