Protocol for selling chopper?

Old 03-28-21, 08:14 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Protocol for selling chopper?

I'm listing my chopper for $9500. Only sold one bike before and it was less than $5k and I didn't really care much about it anyway so I let people ride it.
I'd prefer to have the potential buyer watch me ride it but I think at that price they will want to test ride it.
What if they drop it and the custom paint job and chrome get scratched up, just curious if anyone's sold an expensive bike and can recommend best practices, thanks

Old 03-28-21, 09:23 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
For something like that I would not allow a potential buyer to try it out. I would however have buyer accompany me on a ride as I go through all the actions of the bike. Only when I feel very confident that they are going to buy would I allow a solo try out. Even then it's not a good idea.

Several years back I sold my van to a so called serious buyer. He insisted that I let him drive it. I said no. We both went for a ride as I drove and I put it through it's paces. He kept asking strange questions even after I showed him detailed information and receipts for all the years I owned it. He again wanted to drive it. I said will you buy it? He said not sure. Ultimately I said I would no sell it to him. Several days later another guy wanted it. He had no problem with me driving it. He was very impressed with my detailed record of repair and maintenance. He finally said he wanted it and had cash in hand as a down payment. At that point I urged him (almost insisted) to take the wheel and try himself.

All a matter of confidence and trust.

BTW...Always have another friend or spouse with you as a third party witness as to what is going on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: