Hemlock campfire

Old 04-12-03, 10:47 AM
ktm250racer
Visiting Guest
Hemlock campfire

Anyone use hemlock for campfires. Ive got a bunch that Ive taken down and rather than take the logs to the dump I was thinking of using them for camping. I know its not as good as hard woods, I figure outside would be ok.

Old 04-13-03, 07:19 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello ktm250racer, I don't see why you would have a problem with using the hemlock for a campfire. As long as its dry any wood will burn. It won't last as long as a hardwood will because of the density, but it will allow you to fiddle with campfire more often.

Old 04-22-03, 11:23 PM
T
Hemlock

When camping outdoors, any wood that you can scrounge up will do. It tends to provide warmth, drive bugs & animals away, and if necessary provide a heat source for cooking. If you have ever camped in a public campground, you will find the landscape lacks a twig for your fire. Thus, I always went forth with a bow saw and a trunk load of wood from my wood pile. When camping, neither greenness or wood species matter. When it comes to the outdoors, all it matters is that you have a wood fire that meets your needs.

Old 07-11-05, 06:50 AM
K
just dont burn mountain laurel...the smoke will make you sick.

Old 07-17-05, 04:11 PM
T
Mountain Laurel wood is used as a substitute wood for briar pipes, small objects and novelties, tool handles, woodenware, and fuel. Leaves, shoots and berries are poisonous.

Mountain Laurel wood is heavy, hard, and strong but rather brittle, with a close, straight grain. It has a light yellow sapwood and a yellow-brown heartwood, spotted with red.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: