Backpacks

Old 03-22-04, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backpacks

My son crossed over into Boy Scouts recently and they are going caving/hiking the 1st weekend in April. I need to get him a backpack but there are so many different ones. I have a few questions so that I'm a little educated before the salesman tries to sell me more than he needs right now.

1. What's better for a kid internal or external frame?

2. How do I measure him?

3. Do most allow a sleeping bag to be strapped on?

4. Are there any like weight of person to weight of pack ratios?

I want to get one that he wont grow out of in a year but don't want it to be to big either.

5. Are there any that can grow with the child? That may sound wierd but maybe the frame expands or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
mattison:

I prefer external frame packs because they are more versatile when tying things on.
Get one that allows the sleeping bag to be tied on to the frame and under the bag.

I would guess your boy would be about eleven years old and as such has a lot of growing to do in a short period of time.
I would recommend you get an inexpensive pack that fits him now and don't worry about spending a lot on one that will be too small in a couple of years.

I've been involved in Scouting for quite a few years and to be honest never learned any numbers for proper pack weight.
I've purchased packs for my two sons and daughter and then let them pack their own kits.
All I did was offer guidance as to a few necessities and then once the pack was filled, would help them make adjustments to make the pack manageable.

Old 03-24-04, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank You My Good Man.