Summers 1/2 over.

Old 07-11-04, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Summers 1/2 over.

I know alot of you have been doing some camping so far this year. Everytime we camp there's some fun and interesting events that occur. Tell us some of the antics that's went on.

Our latest camp out was with the Boy Scouts. The deal was a weekender next to the Miami River. A farmer graciously let us use his property. We had to drive about 1/2 mile between 2 cornfields to get to the sight which wasn't bad. The river was very low due to lack of rain and camp got set-up. During the night it decides to start raining. It rained all night and into the afternoon. The low river was in no time at its banks and rising. The plan was to have a pig roast and stay till Sunday. We had the roast and lots of parents were sloshing through the mud and because of the wet ground unless you had 4X4 you walked the whole way. It ended up really good the food was great I got my wifes Blazer really muddy and nobody got there vehicle stranded but we broke camp after dinner since more rain was forcasted and the river was expected to crest in the middle of the night.

Old 07-19-04, 04:54 AM
Ho Hummmmm.......

My son just left yesterday on a week long camping trip with his Boy Scout troop. He just advanced into Boy Scouts this spring and has been on a few weekend campouts without me but this is his 1st time away from us for this long. I'm probably missing him more than he is me.

I'm sure he'll have some exciting stories to share and I'll post them. "For the 1 person that's read this so far anyway"

Old 07-19-04, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Talking The counter surely is screwed up because I read it twice.

I appreciate hearing of your camping adventures.
My wife and I camped some before kids and I did a lot when my two sons and daughter went through the Scouting movement but somehow got away from it when they left Scouting.
A problem we have here is the agressiveness of the mosquitoes.
Somehow they seem to be worse than years past but it could be just us.

How are biting insect where you are?

My area is Boreal Forest, a mix of lakes and forest. I made an out of town trip last week and stopped at an old rest area which was about a hundred yards off the road down a slightly overgrown access road.
When I reached the clearing next to the lake the Dragonflies had taken over the area and most of them were very large and of a color I hadn't seen before.
I took my digital camera, applied some insect repellent and took a stroll to try to get close enough to one to get a macro picture.
Because of the number of dragon flies there were no biting insects. Around here when the dragon flies come out the mosqiutos and hoarse flies dissapear.
I walked around for a bit and went down the trail to the lake, unsuccessfully trying to get a picture.
All I succeeded in doing though was to scare the dragon flies away.
Well, what I also succeded in doing was to scare away the reason the biting bugs were not around.
I hastened my pace back to my vehicle but even with a generous application of repellent I wondered if I had accidently applied cologne.
Although I couldn't see it, something was trying to bore a hole in my ear.
Say, do you know you can't outrun a flying insect?

I survived the picture taking expedition but now can't wait untill the fall when these critters dissappear.
Maybe I'll even dig out the tent(or dust off the camper).

Old 07-24-04, 08:54 AM
Surprisingly the bugs haven't been bad around here this year. We stayed at boyscout camp on their last night last night. Man that place is nice. Their troop has the best spot in the whole place, it's right on the lake. He had a great time, he got his swimmer merit, 1st aid merit, basketry merit, and leatherman. He was one busy kid.

Old 07-25-04, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Nice to hear about Scouting activities and folks who are enthusiastic about it.

Scouting has taken a real dive around here and across our country as well.
We live in a rural area and when my oldest started Beavers in '86 there were around 150 youth involved locally, with two Beaver colonies, two Cub packs and one Scout troop.
Now there are less than twenty involved with Beavers and Cubs.
A shame but I think there is too much competition for a youth's time.
We have even had to reschedule meeting nights to not conflict with hockey.

The Scouting movement has a large modernized year round camp in a nearby Provincial park, but are having a hard time maintaining it with so few volunteers.
Wanna come to a work bee?

Old 07-26-04, 06:49 AM
It's pretty strong around here. There's troops all over and his alone has about 40 boys and they've got a newer branch for 14-18 and allows both girls and boys called Ventures. I know what you mean about the compitition though baseball and football and basketball and I guess in your area hockey has always been big but now soccer year round is unbelievable. I guess as long as their not getting in trouble and have something to occupy their time it's all ok.

What I like about the Scouts is the morality and teaching them to believe in themselves they instill in them that lasts a lifetime.

We're going on my wifes idea of camping in a couple weeks. A hotel by the lake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: