rope ends

Old 08-15-05, 09:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rope ends

Someone must have ways of preventing rope ends from fraying, in my case I am using nylon rope and would like some ideas as to how to prepare the ends so they stay intact and do not fray.

Dave Doran

Old 08-16-05, 03:28 AM
On nylon rope just burn the ends and it'll melt together and not fray.

Old 08-16-05, 02:16 PM
D
rope ends

Thanks, that is just what I thought........someone told me that years ago and I just was not sure if it applied to nylon rope. Will try it and hope it will solve my problem.
Dave Doran

Old 09-06-05, 06:23 AM
Opus
Visiting Guest
Nylon - burn.

natural rope - crimp, tie a knot in the end, or try some tape.

Old 09-08-05, 11:57 PM
K
I like to use a candle for melting (not burning) nylon rope. Then I can hold the rope with one hand and with the wetted fingers of the other quickly compress and smooth the end while it's molten.

For heavy nylon, and all other rope, a whipping is best and real easy. Put on tightly, the whipped end is no thicker than before.

Here is the basic whipping (second image). The trick is in bending the ends of the whipping cord together and drawing them under all, buried. If the whipping is tight, this tightens it more yet and the ends cannot escape.

Always turn a whipping some distance from the frayed end, then cut the rope close to the completed whipping. I cut it about one diameter away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: