Handheld GPS?

Old 10-29-05, 06:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Handheld GPS?

Which Handheld GPS would you buy? Around $150.00 range? Thanks for any info.

Old 10-29-05, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
hogfan,

With the newer units the major brands are very competitive and I'm sure most owners are happy with what ever unit they bought.

You might want to spend some time researching different features to find out what might interest you and if your budget will allow you to meet your needs
Slightly above your price range are units that can accept maps if you think you might want to use it in a vehicle.

I've owned two Magellan's that worked well but I also very happy with the new Garmin I recently bought.
The extra cost of the mapping and the color screen of the 76CS are well worth it to me.

Maybe let us know what exactly you plan to do with it.

Old 11-29-05, 04:19 AM
highlander
Visiting Guest
I have a Garmin etrex vista. It's a couple years old now and running strong. I'm sure the cost has come down significantly since I got it, so it's probably in your range. It doesn't have a color screen, but I don't think that's really necessary. I agree with the previous writer - I haven't spoken to anyone with any model of GPS device who says they're particularly unhappy with it. Good luck and have fun! Visit www.geocaching.com for more info!

Old 12-08-05, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
Did you buy a GPS unit yet or are you just laying out the xmas hints?

A color screen is not necessary as highlander says. This feature brings up the price quite a bit.
What I found with the Magellan I had previously was that the monochrome screen was near impossible to read in a vehicle when it was bright outside.
The greater detail that the newer units offer make the color option worthwhile if used a lot.

Also, check out that geocaching link that highlander linked to.
I stumbled onto that a few years ago and was lucky that a cache had been placed near where I live.
Took the wife out who has no experience with GPS except to hear me bable about it.
We hunted down the cache and she had a blast.
I got enthused enough to assemble the materials to place my own but haven't yet made the time.

Last edited by GregH; 01-14-06 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-09-05, 05:01 AM
I just did get one. I decided to go ahead an buy the Garmin Vista C. Now I have to learn how to use it. Thanks for the help.

Click image:

Image credit: garmin.com

Last edited by GregH; 12-09-05 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add image.
Old 12-13-05, 12:48 PM
S
Gps

A few years ago, I had a E-trex legend.

I really liked it, the only thing I ever had a complaint with them. is not really related to the units abilities.

It did take time to figure out.

I used mine mostly on the road, the small screen was hard to see and use if i was the only one if the vehicle and driving at the same time.

But I know there are larger units for cars.

I know the design is for it to fit into a pocket and they do that well. But a slighty larger screen would make me happier.

sporty

Old 01-08-06, 06:00 AM
M
i have a magellan

I bought the Magellan Meridian BECAUSE IT IS UPGRADEABLE BY PC AND HAS PLACE TO PUT A MEMMORY CARD FOR MORE INFO STORAGE.I USE IT ON THE ROAD ALOT IT HAS MAPS AREADY INSTALLED.I ALSO USE IT FOR A SPEED OMETER ON MY GOLF CART AND WHEN I GO OUT INTO THE FORREST JUST INCASE. I BOUGHT MINE OF E-BAY FOR 145.00 PLUS SHIPPING BRAND NEW.

Old 01-17-06, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
hogfan,

How are you making out with your new GPS?
A good hobby to further your GPS knowledge is Geocaching.

Here is a link to a local one I found listed at the leading Geocaching website.
Try it, you may enjoy it as a hobby.

Old 02-04-06, 08:36 AM
Thanks GregH, I have been to busy to even use it. But thanks for that site.

Old 02-04-06, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, I know what you mean by busy.

I have had a box full of items on a shelf a long time for a cache I want to establish.
I am thinking of building a warehouse for other material I have for future projects.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: