Cooking Outdoors

Old 03-21-06, 08:54 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cooking Outdoors

We have a firepit at our seasonal trailer (RV) Does anyone have or know where we can obtain plans to make a cooking / grate / tray, I really dont care for the tripod type as there are always small children and they seem unstable, my husband is a welder so that helps, we were thinking more of a pole with an arm that would swivel, I would prefer something that could be lowered or hired closer to the flame. Or if anyone has pictures.......please post...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Sorry no one has any ideas for you.

I know of no plans for what you are looking for but if you do a search on the topic of fire pits, I'm sure you will at least come up with some ideas.

When we had a seasonal lot in our local Provincial Park I made a grill that would fit over the provided metal fire pit.
The fire pits they use here are about 28" square by about 20" high.
I made a folding stand with a grate that was the same depth but about a foot wider.
It allowed me to slide what I was cooking to the side where there was less heat.

Old 03-24-06, 08:55 AM
G
Originally Posted by GregH
Sorry no one has any ideas for you.

I know of no plans for what you are looking for but if you do a search on the topic of fire pits, I'm sure you will at least come up with some ideas.

When we had a seasonal lot in our local Provincial Park I made a grill that would fit over the provided metal fire pit.
The fire pits they use here are about 28" square by about 20" high.
I made a folding stand with a grate that was the same depth but about a foot wider.
It allowed me to slide what I was cooking to the side where there was less heat.

Thanks for your suggestion. If I find anything I will repost.

Old 03-24-06, 09:49 AM
When I used to camp, the campgrounds mostly used semi-trailer rims for fire rings. I had the tripod type hanging grate you referred to. It was actually quite sturdy and the kids were taught to stay away from the fire ring anyways. My set-up was a piece of steel cut 3" in diameter with 2" long pipe nipples welded to it on an angle for 3/4" conduit (about 4 foot long) to slide over. The center of the steel round had a 1" coupling welded into it so I could run a chain through it going to the grate. I used a bolt through the chain at the top of the coupling to hold the chain/grate at the desired height. When done using it, it easily disassembled for storage or travel. Good luck.

Old 03-28-06, 01:16 PM
G
Thanks for the idea I will pass it along to the maker lol.....

Old 04-14-06, 05:23 AM
D
http://maskedmerchant.itcstore.com/s...x?prdId=355543

Check out the link above for some thoughts on how to do it.

Also, Just my way of doing things, but I use a dutch oven which can be set directly in the fire. You control the temperature by how many coals you put on top and around the oven. No need for a grate.

Sam

Old 05-02-06, 06:38 AM
G
Thanks Sam for your reply, My husband got an idea from the picture that you sent, now its just finding the time to get the job done. I will post a picture when it is complete.
Carol

Old 05-06-06, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by dragonboi

Also, Just my way of doing things, but I use a dutch oven which can be set directly in the fire. You control the temperature by how many coals you put on top and around the oven. No need for a grate.

Sam
Our forefathers knew what they were doing when they came up with the Dutch oven. We have made everything from fajitas to cake in them while camping. I just love my Dutch oven.