Sticky Tent

Old 04-17-07, 01:28 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sticky Tent

Recently, I took out my light weight nylon tent for the first time in a while.
I noticed that the coated sides of the nylon have become very sticky. It is almost to the point of being unusable.
What can I do to get rid of this stickyness?
Thanks for any ideas!
Wilket

Old 04-17-07, 04:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
To get rid of the stickiness... throw it in the garbage.

You can try cleaning the sticky residue off. Start mild like soap & water and if that does not get it off you can move up to stronger things like Simple Green or rubbing alcohol. Most likely it's the coating on the nylon breaking down so even if you do get it off it has lost much of it's water proofness.

Old 04-17-07, 05:53 PM
W
Is there anyway to recoat it or something? The tent is in very good condition otherwise and I hate to just throw it out.

Old 04-18-07, 01:24 PM
H
How old is the tent? Provided you can remove the sticky residue, yes you can recoat it with waterproofing chemicals either brush on or spray.

It won't be as effective as a new tent though. I once sprayed an entire can on a 2-man tent without any effect when it rained on my trip. If you intend to take your chance with the weather and use it for a single night, car camping trip this season only, it might just do.

But if you plan to do multiple days or trips this year & the future, better to invest in a new one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: