RV Waste Water Holding Tanks

Old 10-06-12, 02:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Post RV Waste Water Holding Tanks

This is on my mind now, so thought I would post it now. Spent a good part of today helping (in the physical sense) another RV camping buddy replace both waste water holding tanks manual dump (discharge or empty, which ever term you use) valves. Both difficult to activate with a real possibility of breaking while we are gone...

Why this happens is mostly do to a lack of usage, drying of the seals and improper usage of chemicals and those which are commonly used. All lack anything chemically added to lubricate the seals.

Solution.
Instead of using that "Green" chemical or the "Blue" chemical, which work well for the intended purpose, neither or none contain a seal lube for seals.

Suggestion:
Use a liquid cleaning soap. Something like Mr. Clean, Pine Sol or simple green as a addition to any cleaning solution that is soapy.

Method:
Initially for the first time add half bottle to each tank. Allow tanks to fill during normal usage and before emptying. Empty Black water first then close discharge (empty) valve. Then open Gray water tanks valve which empties tank and also cleans out and disinfects any black water discharge that is in the entension tube.

Repeated usage adding at least quarter bottle to each of the holding tanks every time. Amazing what a pine fragrance does in a camping setting.... Never leave either valve opened. Bad idea for proper tank discharging (emptying) and good operation.

BTW: FYI:
Know why the black water tanks chemical is GREEN? It's your $$$ going down the toilet...LOL!

Old 10-07-12, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Know why the black water tanks chemical is GREEN?
To make the tree huggers feel warm and fuzzy?? One rule we had at the airport when the Lav truck approached the AC to evacuate the black water, infuse blue water and provide potable water all from one truck..........don't drink the blue water. Luckily they had different fittings on the AC so you couldn't swap them.

Old 10-12-12, 07:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
To make the tree huggers feel warm and fuzzy??
Has absolutely nothing to due with tree huggers...:No No No: Nor the environment or any of such. Just offering a suggestion as a better possible solution for those whom may not have thought of it.

Everything to do with the excessive amount of money ($$$) RV'ers spend on chemicals that do not lube the valves. Store bought liquid soapy cleaning chemicals do as much. So much more than the green or blue holding tank chemicals. Why pay more for less? Nothing to do with anything else....

don't drink the blue water
???????????

What the ???.... "don't drink the blue water" does that mean???

I thought I wrote a post to offer RV'ers a less expensive method to treating holding tanks and an alternative to commercially sold holding tank chemicals in a serious non humorous method. Buddy called and suggested I read reply...

BTW:
What the H.ll ?????? is AC????????? Another short handed abbreviation of which I have no clue what it means???? I do not work at an airport nor have not ever worked at an airport nor do I suspect anyone else reading this thread has.

Worse YET. Nor what or how either applies to the forums topic nor the subject matter. Clarify AC.

Old 10-12-12, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
How was the trip Tom? What type RV did you stay in?

The admiral and I are in the market and looking at this model.

I hear its cheap though. But the price is right.

2012 Coleman Coleman CTS198DB, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Chichester, New Hampshire | Camping World RV - New Hampshire | RVT.com - 54861

Otherwise I am looking at a used jayco like this.

2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 197, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Morinville, Alberta | RV City | RVT.com - 111308

Thats about all my truck could pull. ( And I aint buying a new truck...LOL)

Old 10-12-12, 11:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Mike

Either one would be a good choice.

I personally prefer a hitch towable trailer or what is known as a Fifth Wheel. Towable trailer or 5th wheel if your have a truck with the correct towing weight capacity.

Added benefit is the abiltiy to leave trailer at camp site and have the tow vehilcle to travel around and enjoy the reason you went where you arrived. A motorhome of any size has it's benefits. Problem is once it's parked and set up inside and outside it cannot be moved without undoing everything. Huge pain in the BUTT, IMO.

Camp friends and buddies with motorhomes always want me to go with them...... so they can hitch a ride with me in my truck or use my truck to launch their boat(s)....

Old 10-12-12, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I too like 5th wheels but way out of my price range. Just went to the anual RV show last weekend. Lots of nice stuff.

This is the one that caught my eye and I went back three times to look at it, and sit in it. If I win the lottery and the Admiral leaves me, I will be sailing my own ship.

And this would be it.

2012 - Open Range - Open Range - 386 FLR - Fifth Wheel - Tulsa - OK - RVs and Trailers For Sale | Camperland of Oklahoma | Tulsa Oklahoma RV Dealer

Everything to do with the excessive amount of money ($$$) RV'ers spend on chemicals that do not lube the valves.

Now as a plumbers point of view, chemicals are worthless, so I agree with you there Tom. The small amount of time anything spends in the tanks, nothing you add will make it breakdown any faster. If you have a large RV, whats it in there for...a week?

Most RV people are weekenders. The grey water valves usually stay open in the campsites from what I have seen. People only go out to dump the black.

Many I know do not do #2 in the RV. Only #1. They use the camp facility s for that....LOL

The only thing that should be added is to treat for smells, or the seals as Tom stated.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-12-12, 12:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
The fifth wheeler that caught your eye is a beauty. Did as it was intended to. Please the EYE and WOW the family and or friends. Not my style nor would it fit nor suit my needs. But do hope you win loto and able to obtain your dream. Nothing wrong with that or dreaming.

If my boat had come in (dream had come true) I would really like to own a huge trailer like the one you looked at too! Or the boat I always wanted. Unlike the one I have now... Something on the order of a 60+ foot cabin cruiser would be perfect for ocean fishing...HA HA... Much to big for a lake where I go with trailer. Or sight seeing Americans beauty national parks, etc.

To me and for me and for what I use mine for is like a hotel room in the woods or at the camp site. Gone days. Return afternoons or evenings to eat home cooked meals, rest, relax, shower and sleep. Just like a hotel or motel but in the woods or at camp site.

Some of the places I go there is no facilities to speak of. You either make like the bears (go in the woods) or don't go at all... If you don't have it whatever it happens to be you do without. Meaning a totally self contained trailer.

Now that all kids are grown up and are on their own, wife has zero interest in it now. My little towable trailer suits me fine. Less to maintain, clean and easier to tow. Also less to pay at RV storage site. Smaller space equals lower rate.

Old 10-12-12, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tom, no need to get so excited when you return from a leisure RV trip. I don't RV, so I thought the chemicals used was actually "green", not knowing you were referring to the cost. Excuse.
Well, if I am at an airport, the closest thing I can think of with the acronym of AC would be an "aircraft". The blue water aside was merely a story about servicing the black water, blue water and potable water from one vehicle. Very odd to say the least. I'd hate for someone to get it mixed up.
Hope your return home was pleasant.

Old 10-13-12, 05:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

AC stands for (Means) Aircraft. AC short for aircraft. Sure had been better if you would have taken just a few extra seconds and spelled it out. Amazing how one incorrectly and/or unknown abbreviated word becomes so distracting in an otherwise well written reply. Spent so much of my time attempting to determine what AC meant I lost all patience and gave up....

FYI: Clarifications.
The toilet water treatment chemical is GREEN. As in the color green. Same liquid chemical used in a portable outhouse. Another chemical is blue. Color BLUE. The blue chemical is in a powder form. Same usage (purpose).

There is yet another chemical used for the GRAY holding tank water. (Gray meaning sink and shower water.) A separate holding tank for this type of waste water. That gray waste water chemical is a deodorant chemical. It does not contain any valve seal lubricant either. And also costs far more money ($$$) then a liquid household cleaner and disinfectant.

Summation. An RV'er would need to and should carry (have on board) and add these chemicals to the two separate holding tanks (one toilet waste water and one sink/shower holding tank waste water) two separate types of far more costly chemicals. why do so when one bottle of an all purpose generic around the household cleaning chemical can be used.

Pertaining to cost, far less expensive to use an around the home generic all purpose cleaning and disinfectant (dual purpose) chemical then it costs to buy RV waste water holding tank chemicals. Added benefit as a lubricant as mentioned. Also carrying around less weight in an RV is a consideration of concern too.

The humor part (Which I should have left out) was how the green color waste water treatment chemical costs you so much more money then an around the home all purpose cleaner and does so little else then flush your bucks down the toilet.

I'll attempt to be more clear so all non RV'ers will better understand what I write to an RV'er as a tip and or trick. And leave out the humor I so often include. Hopefully all points and clarifications have been made and explained here....

Title also edited for purposes of clarifcations also. Words Waste Water added.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-13-12 at 06:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: