repairing 6 gal water containers

Old 01-17-14, 02:59 AM
repairing 6 gal water containers

I have a few 6 gallon water containers, shaped like the old 5 gal metal gas tanks you would see on the back of a Jeep or SUV. They are narrow and tall. Because they are plastic and have a seam along the middle of the bottom, they are leaking in a few spots. The filler hole on top isn't large enough for my hand to get through, so I thought I'd pour/drip a sealant into the filler hole and let it accumulate on the bottom where the leak(s) is, hopefully sealing any crack that's there.

Can someone suggest the best type of sealant to do this? I thought of using laminating resin, which flows easily, but it's hard to find in small amounts and I don't want to spend much since these water containers aren't worth that much. I'm just looking for an inexpensive way to try to seal these leaks.

I've tried doing this from the outside, using 5 minute epoxy, but the cracks are very fine and the 5 minute epoxy isn't designed to flow into fine cracks.

Any suggestions?

John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-14, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
John. BTDT. I had 3 we kept emergency water in. They all cracked on the seams. Seems like fiberglas resin worked, until a new crack appeared. Recycle bin.

Old 01-17-14, 04:11 AM
Well, that was the fastest reply I've even gotten. In the old days I'd head down to Standard Brands Paint Stores and buy some of the cheap fiberglass resin we used to repair surfboards. But now it seems to be more of a specialty item. I'll try to find a discount marine hardware store, if there is such a thing here in S. California. Were your water containers green with white pour spouts?

John

Old 01-17-14, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pale green with white, correct. Good luck. It would seem SOCAL would be THE place for resin

Old 01-17-14, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Assuming it's the same stuff, most auto parts stores sell fiberglass resin.

Old 01-17-14, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Since your jugs are plastic see if you can find someone with a plastic welder. In southern California there are has to be a lot of plastic fabricators. They would have the proper tools and knowledge to re-seal the seams. Plastic welders can be bought from many tool suppliers like Harbor Freight. Some models are pretty inexpensive but do require a bit of skill and practice to make work well. More reliable would be to find a pro and give them $5 or $10 cash or a 6 pack of something nice and have it done right.