Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repair advice for reattaching rubber soles onto hiking boots

PA

08-24-16, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Repair advice for reattaching rubber soles onto hiking boots

I'd like to fix the sole on the most comfortable low hiking boots I've had. I've only had them for less than two years, so there's not a lot of wear on soles or shoe.
The rubber sole with the hiking lugs separated in places, mostly near the arch and heel and I'm wondering what the best repair glue would be.
I've tried:
1. Liquid Rubber, which did not bind to either the shoe base or the rubber sole;
2. Hot melt glue, but was only the General Purpose sticks for crafts and not specific for this type application - didn't bind the rubber sole to the shoe;
3. Form a Gasket, two types. One dried Ok! but did not bind properly and the other looked like it might've needed engine heat to cure properly

I have some Liquid Nails cartridges I thought I might try but I remembered this stuff dries hard and would likely lose adhesion when it eventually would crack at this point between the sole arch and heel.

Quick Internet search suggests : Shoe Glue or Gorilla Glue
Anyone have experience or recommendations for these products and how best to use them.
I always try to bind the repair with flat wood splints, shoe strings and quick release squeeze handle wood-clamps - while the fix is drying but not to much pressure.
thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-24-16, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Now that you've applied all that stuff it's going to be difficult to get anything to stick properly so don't skimp on prepping the surfaces. I'd use a wire brush, preferably a powered one, and thoroughly clean the bottom of the shoe and top of the sole. Then thoroughly de-grease both surfaces with MEK or lacquer thinner. Then have at it with Shoe Goo. Shoe Goo forms a skin quickly so work fast spreading the glue and getting the two pieces together before a skin forms on the surface of the glue. Then clamp it together well and let it sit for a day or two.

I've repaired many shoes with it and it works very well if you can get the mating surfaces clean and free of oils. I've even used it to repair the R4 industrial tire of a front end loader. When done right the stuff sticks like you wouldn't believe and it remains flexible. I also use it for coating parts of my combat RC airplanes. It forms an almost indestructible skin on them that's hard to believe.

ME

08-24-16, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Another vote for Shoe Goo as I have tried several and none have done nearly as well as this product. Prep as PD emphasized and it should do well.

Another option would be to return them as 2 years is far from what they were intended. Forget the stated warranty excuses, products are supposed to last as long as they were intended, implied warranty. If the store will not honor your request the mfg should.

Bud

CT

08-24-16, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Have to agree with the pilot! Going to be hard with the current surface.
However I have used shoe goo and prefer "freesole" !
MCNETT Freesole Shoe Repair Free Shipping at $49
McNett Gear Aid Freesole 1oz Shoe Repair Urethane Formula Sealant | eBay
Just an alternate option!
cheers and good luck

Search this Thread