Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, Climbing, RVing
Reload this Page >

Any Ideas How I Can Support this Fan/Light in My Pop Up Tent?

Old 07-23-17, 10:35 AM

Hi. I bought a pop up tent like the one pictured from Aldi. I never used a pop up tent before and I like how quickly I can set it up and take it down. The tent does not have a loop or a hook or anything at the center of its ceiling. I also recently purchased the battery operated fan/led light for a tent from Aldi. The fan/light has an attached carabiner and it weighs about four pounds when you account for the batteries.

I want to be able to somehow hang or otherwise elevate the fan/light off from the from. I think the fan/light would work best if it hung from the center of the tent, the light and the breeze would be directed downward. I tried using strong magnets to attach the fan/light to the ceiling but that just pulled the ceiling of the tent down too much and it didnít really seem secure.

Can you describe a way that I might effectively use this fan/light in the this pop up tent? I thought about maybe using pvc pipe and zip ties as a support structure? Can you think of any good ideas? If you have an idea and you can include a little diagram or something, that may help me to visualize the type of support that you are suggesting. Thank you for your ideas.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-17, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
You bought a tent that is lightweight and quick and easy to set up. That means no tent poles or anything of great support value.

The only thing I can think of is to attach a horizontal wire/rope to what ever holds the tent up. I'd imagine there would be a piece of round steel in the seams. Be careful as you may now introduce a leak location.

Name:  tent.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 07-23-17, 11:06 AM
hey pmax thank you for the idea. i was thinking about some kind of support/stand that would be separate from the tent and set up inside of the tent. im just not sure how that ind of support/stand would be set up. i mean i could technically rest the fan/light on the tent floor in a corner opposite from where i will be sleeping. that would probably mean the light would shine directly on my face though. or i could just use the fan portion of the fan/light and i have another separate led lantern for more strategic lighting. hmmmm.

Old 07-24-17, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
The only way to use the tent for support is if there are any loops sewn into the seam somewhere.

Old 07-24-17, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Many tents have hanging loops sewn into the inside. If your tent doesn't have them you could sew them in. Since you're not touching the rain fly you don't have to worry about causing a leak.

If you really want a separate structure inside the tent to hang the light you can get another tent frame pole. It would need to be the length to go corner to corner inside the tent and bow upward along the roof of the tent. There are many companies online that sell replacement poles and parts. You could get the pole in aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber depending on your budget and how much weight you want.