couch plan

Old 08-20-02, 05:07 PM
flananphish
Visiting Guest
couch plan

My wife cannot find a couch to suit her taste. I have made many pieces of furniture, and so have been tapped for this job. Problem: I cannot find plans ANYWHERE for making a couch frame. There are plans available for couches with exposed wood work, but this couch is to be entirely covered with fabric. I assume that the frame would, therefore, be different from the exposed wood couch plans. I could experiment, but would rather go with a tried and true technique. I have tried Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and about 400 web sites that sell or give away furniture plans. I can't be the only woodworker in the country who want to make a couch.

Can anybody out there help me?

Thank you.

Old 08-20-02, 07:37 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
The first place I would check out is the public library. I would look for books on "how to" upholster, your bound to see some construction. Look for books on furniture making, plans etc.
Another idea is to look around for a used sofa or couch, that is of a size, and style that you could use. Most of the time these sofas or couches have only worn upholstry, or paddings/ foam, and maybe the legs. The rest, frame and springs are usually good. You could do a tear down, and reconstruct maybe legs etc. repad and recover.
This will take you some time but after you start into going through some sites you will get the "hang" of what might have something of interest to you. the site is www.google.com
In the search box type in, sofa plans, couch plans, furniture construction, building furniture, suggestions of this sort.
good luck,
Trent

Old 09-04-02, 06:21 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
Have you had any luck yet, or what have you decidedto do?
Trent

Old 09-04-02, 06:50 PM
flananphish
Visiting Guest
couch plans

Trent:

Tried it all. Spent another 4 hours on the net, no luck.

Thanks for asking.

sw

Old 09-20-02, 07:56 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
Went to the library today. I was looking for some books on mission/craftsman/types of furniture. I saw some books that might be of interest to you. "UPHOLSTERY TECHNICS & PROJECTS by David Jones, and "THE COMPLETE UPHOLSTERER" by Carole Thomerson.
again, good luck,
Trent

Old 09-21-02, 10:25 AM
flananphish
Visiting Guest
thanks for the suggestion. I found a plywood manufacturer web site that has photos of their products being used to make couches. I think that I can get enough detail from these to figure out the basics.

thanks again.

sw

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: