wall to wall worksurface

Old 08-31-02, 01:29 PM
dbx38
Visiting Guest
Question wall to wall worksurface

i want to build a wall to wall worksurface, 119"w x 36"d x 32"h. this will be a home office/home recording studio. i want the surface to be supported by a frame which will rest upon braces(2x4)drilled into studs at each end. the surface will need to be open at the rear to allow for cords\wires, 1". i don't want any legs. the surface will support 200lbs. max, evenly distributed. i've considered using square steel tubing layed upon the end braces to prevent sagging. i want the surface plastic laminated.
what material should i use for the surface(mdf maybe), and do you know of a better way to support it.
thanks

Old 09-03-02, 02:19 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dbx
I've worked with square steel tubing, fabricating tables, benchs, and machine bases, and I think that you'll be able to see the amount of sag that would occur in the steel tube, unless you go with really heavy tubing, such as 2" square with .250 wall thickness, or larger. With the 10' span, I think you would have better results using either, "I-beam" or "C-channel steel. Either of these shapes, will have less sag per pound that square steel tubing.

Nashcat

Old 09-03-02, 02:25 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
I'm searching around for some stuff, and will post back I tend to think that you will wind up with more than a 200 pound load on a top of that size unless you are very, very neat. I think that a 10 foot span is going to have some deflection in it unless you give it say a center leg to help out. Will post back
Trent

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: