wood for waterwheel

Old 10-03-02, 07:24 PM
Gman17
Visiting Guest
wood for waterwheel

I am wanting info on what type of wood to build a waterwheel from. Redwood is to expensive. What type or how should I preserve the wood?

Old 10-03-02, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gman17,

Go with pressure treated SYP. A composite would do a nice job, but it's more expensive than redwood. Stain/seal it with a semi-trans penetrating oil stain. Or no stain at all if you plan to have fish in a pond.

fred

Old 10-04-02, 04:35 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
I would most likely use the pressure treated wood also, and another suggestion, use stainless steel fasteners.
good luck,
Trent

Old 10-06-02, 12:18 AM
lasernik
Visiting Guest
WaterWheel

I used western red cedar for my waterwheel it is a little cheaper than redwood. Pressure treated wood might be a bad idea if the wheel is running to a pond with plants and fish.

Old 10-06-02, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The waterwheel I saw again in August (last seen in 1985) is PT pine. Of course I didn't ask the nursery store owner if they had a continual problem with fish replacement.
Probably best to find the newer wood treatment( ACQ and Copper Azole)as compared to th older CCA wood.
Cedar is a good idea and comparably priced.

fred

Old 10-08-02, 05:52 PM
tennessee
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

make out of cypress wood. will hold up good in water(reelfoot lake boat are made of cypress) when oiled it is a nice looking wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: