delta router shaper

Old 02-17-03, 08:49 AM
armbruster
Visiting Guest
delta router shaper

I am thinking of buying the delta router / shaper. The cost is approx. $250. Comes with it's own motor and they say that it has the capability to do raised panels. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 02-17-03, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
router

Not knowing the model #, I can't comment on the tool you mentioned. I have a 'no=name' router - 3HP, with a 1/2" collett, which I believe is the minimum necessary to do raised panels with any intricacy to them.

The first raised panels I ever did (and still do occasionally) were done on a table saw.

Old 02-17-03, 12:26 PM
armbruster
Visiting Guest
delta router shaper

Model # is SH 100 and the other is 43-505. Both are the same units. Seems that it would be a good alternative to a router table and router - do you agree. They also state it's raised panel capability. Wondering if you know anything about the product.

Old 02-17-03, 04:21 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I looked at it online. This is a benchtop tool. With 1/4" and 1/2" collets. 9 amps at 120 volts. About 1000 watts, so that would be about 1.5 horsepower peak. My Bosch router draws 15 amps and is supposed to produce 3 horsepower. I imagine that nameplate ratings don't mean very much, My router will run 1/2 " panel raising bits through oak with ease.

My guess is that the 43-505 might be a lightweight tool for panel raising or shaping. Might be a fair router table.

Old 03-11-03, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
armbruster:

Just wondering if you decided to buy the shaper.

I bought a 43-505 model this week and so far it looks like it will work just fine.

I own two 1/4" collet routers with a number of accessories.
While getting set up to make cabinet doors I was unable to find a rail and stile bit set in 1/4".
I did manage to get a 1/4" combination bit that you have to take apart and reposition the cutters to get the two profiles.
It took me over two hours to get the shims set after switching the profiles and I've almost got it.
I likely will get faster but the doors I need are all different sizes and will be switching the darn bit back and forth.
So, rather than buy a bigger 1/2" collet router, I see the router/shaper as a much better solution.
One knob height adjustment, a fair bit of power and a belt drive system that makes it very quiet are all an advantage over a router table.

Old 03-25-03, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Smile Please post replies here rather than in a PM. Everyone learns that way.

armbruster wrote:

Re: delta router shaper
Haven't bought the unit yet but am getting ready to pull the plug. Was waiting to see if my wife would buy it for me as a b-day present but I got something from her that she wanted instead.

I see that it comes with a 3/4 inch spindle for using shaping bits. Have you used the machine enough to know if it will indeed operate a 3 3/8 inch horizontal panel raising bit in hardwood?

GregH writes:

Thanks for keeping us updated.

(Fortunately for me, when my wife comes into my shop everything looks the same to her so it doesn't take much to slip one by. )

I havn't had a chance to really give it a good work-out yet as it is taking longer to organize my shop than I thought. The upside though is I'm finding things I forgot I owned!

I think that these are pretty good machines, but a large panel raising bit would be a bit of a stretch.
I'm sure the shaper could do them, but you would have to take several passes.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: